Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help with my truck.

I have a 2017 F350 (65K) with a 6.7L (diesel) in it. It has a full delete (DPF/EGR/DEF) and a PPEI tune VIA Ezlynk. I deleted it for longevity, not power. A month ago, at highway speeds in sixth gear my truck would drop a gear and allow me only gears 1-5. I pulled over, turned off the truck, turned it back on and got back up to highway speeds again. This happed intermittently for the next few days, so I took it to my trusted diesel shop. They recommended we start with a transmission fluid change (was due anyway). Changed the fluid, got back on the road and it happened again, this time the truck was stuck in fifth gear. 0 mph to 80 the truck was stuck in 5th gear.

I took the truck back to the shop and left it there for them to investigate. They said the trucks batteries were shot (confirmed by me) and they needed to be replaced as well as the truck showed the code P0702 (TCM -TRANS CTRL SYS ELECTRICAL). They said they would advise replacing the TCM (Transmission Control Module). Received a new TCM and the shop put it in. Now the fun begins. I tried to re flash/tune the truck using PPEI’s tune I purchased about a year earlier, but I quickly realized that the support for the tune had expired and I didn’t have access to it again through Ezlynk. I called PPEI and they informed me that they didn’t support non emissions compliant trucks anymore and wouldn’t give me the file I originally purchased. I bought a tune pack from SPE (Snyder Performance Engineering) that would tune non emissions compliant vehicles. I bought the tune (which came with the stock file as well) and the lifetime support. Once the new TCM was in, I flashed the truck with the tune. The truck is now stuck in third gear and throwing the code P163F (Transmission ID Block Corrupted, Not Programed) The shop thought that it might be because I flashed the new TCM with an aftermarket tune (engine and trans) that it didn’t fix the problem. According to the shop, the TCM’s are VIN specific and not programable through IDS. The shop ordered a new TCM and retuned the old one under warranty. Once the new TCM was installed, I flashed the truck to stock engine/trans tune, then flashed the truck with the SPE engine/trans tune. Truck still shows the same code P163F (Transmission ID Block Corrupted, Not Programed). The shop has hooked their Ford IDS software up to my truck and has problems communicating with the PCM/TCM. Shop says the next step is a new PCM and another TCM.

Sorry for this being a long post. I’m trying to be as detailed as possible hoping someone can help. The shop has been very helpful, and I trust they’re not giving me the run around (ive been there to witness most of this). SPE hasn’t been much help. I’m already $1,900 into my truck as well as $900 into a rental car for a month.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,271 Posts
The solenoid body ID and shift strategy must be programmed to the TCM. By the sound of it it is not programmed.

·
Super Moderator
5,271 Posts
The TCM comes programed from Ford
It most definitely does NOT come with the solenoid body ID and shift strategy. Those are unique to each individual transmission. This is a totally separate function in the IDS.

This information is on the tag on the side of the transmission

·
Super Moderator
5,271 Posts
Any tech that works on these trucks regularly should know this so it seems like the shop you go to isn’t the most knowledgeable

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It most definitely does NOT come with the solenoid body ID and shift strategy. Those are unique to each individual transmission. This is a totally separate function in the IDS.

This information is on the tag on the side of the transmission
The shop says the problem is IDS wasn't communicating with the TCM which on IDS says PCM fault.

·
Super Moderator
5,271 Posts
The P163F sets when the solenoid body ID is not programmed to the TCM. That cannot be done until it’s installed in the truck.

So they can’t talk to the PCM or TCm?

·
Super Moderator
5,271 Posts
Either they bricked it some how or it’s possible there is a power supply issue. Is the there a loss of communication with TCM DTC stored in the PCM? It would be very unusual or extremely rare to have a bad new module from the dealer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Either they bricked it some how or it’s possible there is a power supply issue. Is the there a loss of communication with TCM DTC stored in the PCM? It would be very unusual or extremely rare to have a bad new module from the dealer
I appreciate your responses. I have hit wall after wall with this.

We started by replacing the two batteries in my truck. Is there somewhere else we should be looking for a power supply issue? The new PCM gets in on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
5,271 Posts
Can they talk to any other modules on the Truck? Perhaps is a VCM communicator issue (ids interface).

Power supply meaning wiring issue or power supply to the control module (not powered up). Loss of TCM ground will also make it not power up.

Something is very fishy here, especially now they want to replace the PCM.

Also that P0702 code you’ve mentioned is jus a generic code stored in the PCM telling you there is an electrical issue with the transmission control system. Why did they jump straight to the TCM?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can they talk to any other modules on the Truck? Perhaps is a VCM communicator issue (ids interface).

Power supply meaning wiring issue or power supply to the control module (not powered up). Loss of TCM ground will also make it not power up.

Something is very fishy here, especially now they want to replace the PCM.

Also that P0702 code you’ve mentioned is jus a generic code stored in the PCM telling you there is an electrical issue with the transmission control system. Why did they jump straight to the TCM?
Here is the latest update from the shop working on my truck.

"Found no communication to TCM and diag tree recommends replacing the TCM, if problem persists then replace the PCM. Replaced TCM twice, no resolve. TCMs are confirmed to be pre programmed and just need to be run through IDS to recognize the new unit. Installed new factory ford PCM ordered by VIN number and tried to run the factory programming through IDS, still no communication to TCM. Was able to run a check through IDS that verifies proper power and ground in and out of TCM. Called ford and verified they have a “new” version of IDS and brought their IDS and tried the process once again. Still same result. No communication to TCM and no ability to get past this step in IDS. Switch both new and old TCMs and PCMs and tried to relearn IDS with all four configurations. Still no resolve."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The solenoid body ID and shift strategy must be programmed to the TCM. By the sound of it it is not programmed.
Here is the latest update from the shop working on my truck,

"Found no communication to TCM and diag tree recommends replacing the TCM, if problem persists then replace the PCM. Replaced TCM twice, no resolve. TCMs are confirmed to be pre programmed and just need to be run through IDS to recognize the new unit. Installed new factory ford PCM ordered by VIN number and tried to run the factory programming through IDS, still no communication to TCM. Was able to run a check through IDS that verifies proper power and ground in and out of TCM. Called ford and verified they have a “new” version of IDS and brought their IDS and tried the process once again. Still same result. No communication to TCM and no ability to get past this step in IDS. Switch both new and old TCMs and PCMs and tried to relearn IDS with all four configurations. Still no resolve."

·
Super Moderator
5,271 Posts
Are there any other codes in any other modules for loss of communication with TCM?

I would want to physically check powers and grounds with a load at the TCM connector. I wouldn’t be happy with just a “quick test” from IDS.

Have they tried another scan tool besides the IDS to talk to the TCM/PCM?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are there any other codes in any other modules for loss of communication with TCM?

I would want to physically check powers and grounds with a load at the TCM connector. I wouldn’t be happy with just a “quick test” from IDS.

Have they tried another scan tool besides the IDS to talk to the TCM/PCM?
Thanks for the info. Im going by today to try and tune the new PCM/TCM the tunes on my Ezlynk (on my phone). I will see what my phone says about other codes and we will check the electrical connections running into the TCM connector. No other scan tool has been used, just two IDS tools.

·
Super Moderator
5,271 Posts
If you aren’t successful I would try another diagnostic device just to see if it will talk to it. If not you know the problem is with the truck. I do not think you have a bad pcm or tcm (unless something on the truck is shorting them out immediately when you connect the harnesses)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you aren’t successful I would try another diagnostic device just to see if it will talk to it. If not you know the problem is with the truck. I do not think you have a bad pcm or tcm (unless something on the truck is shorting them out immediately when you connect the harnesses)
We tried that today. It's defintaly the truck, not the diagnostic devices. Truck still only throws P163F and is stuck in third gear. I cant manually shift it up or down. Just third gear. Reverse, neutral and park work just fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts