Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a Tru Cool LPD 47391 in my truck today. 45,000BTU cooling. Pretty simple really.

Pulled grill off first. Removed old cooler. Pinched the lines and cut them off.

The dollar bill kinda gives you a reference in the difference.

Pulled the hard lines off of the old cooler. Cut the rubber hoses off. After installing them on the New cooler, I didn't like how close they were to each other. Pulled the long one off and made a small zig zag bend in it.

The old cooler mounted in between the A/C condenser and the intercooler. I mounted the new one in front of the A/C condenser. The bottom brackets lined up with the uprights perfect. The top ones missed, So I took One of the braces that the original mounted it to. Mounted it across the top mounts and then mounted it it the uprights. Ran the lines down through the same place the A/C lines run. Drop down under the truck and clamp on the original hard lines.

Did a fluid change at the same time. Have only drove a few miles on it, so I do not know how much cooler it is going to run. But it should be quite a bit.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Hell an old "balla " like you shoulda used a 50 spot instead of that single .............. :ford:

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had to use something you could relate to Allen.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could have lined up a row of dimes. Actually, I was taught that trick in the military, always use a bill to show size relationships.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I could have lined up a row of dimes. Actually, I was taught that trick in the military, always use a bill to show size relationships.

They didn't have "Don't ask, don't tell." back then.....

·
Registered
545 Posts
Will moving it in front of the AC condenser alter your in cab AC temps?

I have no idea.....just asking. I want to upgrade mine also.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure, I will let you know tomorrow. My A/C is so cold, I have to turn it off max after a few miles. It gets too cold in the truck. I would rather have me and the tranny cool, than me cold and the tranny hot.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They didn't have "Don't ask, don't tell." back then.....
Talk about out of context. Kind of funny though.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Will moving it in front of the AC condenser alter your in cab AC temps?

I have no idea.....just asking. I want to upgrade mine also.
Minimal. The trans cooler is 75% effective behind the condenser at best. In 100*+ weather and with the A/C on, it's probably in the 50% range.

The condenser on the SD is large enough that the trans cooler won't effect the A/C cooling cycle. Even if you have a crew cab or single cab.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Even in a WORST case scenario, since Andy moved the cooler in front of the condenser, there is now enough room to install a slim line electric fan behind the condenser. Wire it up as a "puller"... which is most effective anyways.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even in a WORST case scenario, since Andy moved the cooler in front of the condenser, there is now enough room to install a slim line electric fan behind the condenser. Wire it up as a "puller"... which is most effective anyways.

Good idea, never thought about that.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks Dirk. Here in south SC it gets hot as hell. I need cool more then those in the northern clims.

Arlington Texas aint' exactly Northern. It was 104º on my back porch this evening at 5:30. That temp, not heat index.

This was my back porch in March or 08:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Want to argue about temps? Come to Phx. They lie on the news so they don't scare away tourists. I have mounted my John Deere and mowed my acre with 120 showing on the patio in the shade. Our trucks are under extreem conditions all the time.

I am installing a tru cool next week but I am leaving the orig on and going from that to the tru cool in frt of the cond. I'll let you know how it works. On Thur afternoon about 4pm I'm leaving with my 13K toyhauler and will be pulling some 6% grades during the hottest part of the day so should be a good test.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought about doubling up. But thought it might be too much flow restriction.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I thought about doubling up. But thought it might be too much flow restriction.
It all depends on your trans. Need to do a flow test and see what it is putting out.

Once I ditched the bypass tube, I noticed that pressures were up. When I tested the output, it was up as well (which it should be). Maybe I'll send you some pics of my new setup.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts