Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i need your help on something , Ive replaced the transmission in my 03 dually for the third time now. This time im going overboard ... im sick of replacing trannys ever 1 1/2 years. My question for you guys is this ... what is the BEST transmission cooler out there? I know alot of guys recommend the 6.0 cooler for the 7.3 guys , but i assume this is mainly due to ease of installation. Im a drag racer so welding a few tabs here and there for mounting is normal for me. So do i want something like this http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/derale-atomic-cool-remote-transmission-cooler-15950-p-2907.html or should i get a 6.0 cooler. my truck tows on the weekends and drives in stop and go traffic. Mods arent extensive ... just a cold air intake , edge juice with attitude and a bullydog exhaust from turbo back. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Donnie

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Your first mod is most likely your problem. Your edge does NOTHING for your tranny. They are known for chewin em up. Ditch your edge, get an SCT, rebuild your tranny and forget about it.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Well..get rid of the Edge get a TS based chip with custom tunes. 31 row 6.0 cooler is the best you can get. If your having this many problems with your trans something is wrong with the builder or installer. Next time get a BTS and install it yourself.

Cary

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
:whs: Saw 03 and thought 6.0 right off the bat. Should have read into it a little moore. Custom chip for sure.....

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
917 Posts
6.0l cooler and make sure your bypass is working properly. They fail often.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i went with the 6.0 cooler, BD deep sump pan, and eliminated the bypass, have yet to see trans temp over 140* and that is towing and plowing. i think the bypass was the cause of my trans failure

·
riverjet
459 Posts
The EDGE increases power by fooling the icp and map sensors.With the added power the truck is running under less load. The computer does not know there is added power and will not increase line pressure accordingly on shifts.First get the EDGE off there.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys i get the picture , i honestly didnt research REAL hard when i bought a tuner for my truck. I will ditch the tuner and get another one.The edge had built in gauges and a nice CLEAN install with the screen and molded pillar mount. So now my question is this .... which tuner for my 7.3? Do you guys agree with a DPf5 as the tuner?

Thanks Donnie

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
You are interested in good transmission cooling so I guess my question to you is what are your transmission temps? F-5 is a good tuner and there are several more very good tuners that are sponsors on this site that you can chose from as well. Sorry you are having so many tranny issues.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tom thanks for the reply , i just have the stock 7.3 cooler curently. I see temps well over 180 when towing the 28ft enclosed trailer with race car in it. I am getting my tranny built to the hilt this time with billet triple disk converter , just wanted a really good cooler ... i cant imagine the stock 6.0 cooler does better then a aftermarket with a fan .. but ive been wrong before.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
How much is this trans gonna cost you? I am just curious to see how that compares to say a BTS or John Wood trans. 180deg is not going to kill a transmission either and a 6.0 cooler should be plenty.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tom
The transmission is going to cost me around $1800.00 converter is another $700 ..... i know these prices sound low to most on here , but there is MAJOR mark up in transmissions and parts. Ive been a drag racer for around 17 years , and in that time you tend to gain some friends in the industry.I will probably get railed for this comment but i will say it none the less.There are alot more transmission builders out there then just brian that can build trannys. Guys that have been building powerglides to hold 2500horsepower in a turbo mustang .... i assure you this is no easy feat and you dont hold those kind of power levels without learning a few tricks along the way. I hear Brians customer service is above and beyond ... but for the price i can get alot more tranny. Hell for brians price you can buy a Lenco LOL

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nasty the bypass is the external tube on the passenger side of the tranny .... John Wood makes spacers to bypass it or you can weld/braze the holes up or i think itp diesel has a bypass kit.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
edge doesnt do anything for trans tuning. yes Brian isnt the only guy building high HP trans, but at the same time isnt it the diesels low end TQ what breaks them?

As for tuning I reccomend any of the great tuners that use a TS style chip, that way then if you decide you wanna try a different tuner then you can just have that chip reburnt at the cost of the new tuners "reburn" price so no need to buy a new chip.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Tom
The transmission is going to cost me around $1800.00 converter is another $700 ..... i know these prices sound low to most on here , but there is MAJOR mark up in transmissions and parts. Ive been a drag racer for around 17 years , and in that time you tend to gain some friends in the industry.I will probably get railed for this comment but i will say it none the less.There are alot more transmission builders out there then just brian that can build trannys. Guys that have been building powerglides to hold 2500horsepower in a turbo mustang .... i assure you this is no easy feat and you dont hold those kind of power levels without learning a few tricks along the way. I hear Brians customer service is above and beyond ... but for the price i can get alot more tranny. Hell for brians price you can buy a Lenco LOL
AGREED

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Tom
Donnie, I will just say I hope it works out well for you and they guy you are using this go around builds you a really tough trans that provides you good service.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
edge doesnt do anything for trans tuning. yes Brian isnt the only guy building high HP trans, but at the same time isnt it the diesels low end TQ what breaks them?

As for tuning I reccomend any of the great tuners that use a TS style chip, that way then if you decide you wanna try a different tuner then you can just have that chip reburnt at the cost of the new tuners "reburn" price so no need to buy a new chip.
Yes tq and the weight of the vehicle is what destroys these tannys and converters. But a 2000 hp car is making way more tq then our powestrokes.

I apreciate the advice on the tuner , i am just going to buy a dp-f5..... Like i said , i didnt research very well when i bought the edge for my tow vehicle ... i wish i would have.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Donnie, I will just say I hope it works out well for you and they guy you are using this go around builds you a really tough trans that provides you good service.
Tom
Thanks again for all your replies. I think it will work out just fine for me this time. In the past i was just getting OEM rebuilds , another mistake i have made along the way. But this time im going to buy the good parts , reinforce the case , molest the valve body , ditch the bypass and use a billet triple disk converter. I think it will do fine even without the BTS miracle magic ... dont get me wrong Brian does great work from what ive heard and backs it up. But its way over priced IMO ... if you guys would look at the cost of the parts , you might feel the same way , but its not my place.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts