Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought my truck last October...

February, I had a pilot bearing go out, tore up the seals infront of the tranny, had a new clutch assembly and seals installed.

March, Had a fuel line break doused the clutch assembly, throwout bearing went out, clutch tore up...

Last night I was coming down from PA to Maryland and the truck popped out of gear and when I put it in gear and shutterd shaked, free spun. made lots of bad noise. I got it to grab in Low gear and I feathered the clutch and throttle enough to get off the hwy. Didnt help I had my 5th wheel. And now its at a stealership just north of Washington DC. Waiting to hear word back from them...

Kinda thinking about an Auto Conversion.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, Im tired of buying a new clutch assembly every 3 months.

·
BIG RED
247 Posts
Im wanting to do a 6 speed swap... You wanna trade???

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pm replied to.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
When you had the clutch replaced, did you get a single-mass flywheel? If not, maybe the dual-mass has, er, undone itself.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
When you had the clutch replaced, did you get a single-mass flywheel? If not, maybe the dual-mass has, er, undone itself.
his truck came factory with SMF... i don't see any reason to want to swap to an auto really. it wasn't at fault of the trans setup when your fuel system blew out and snuffed the clutch. that has happened to me and i was able to drive on that clutch for a few months before i decided to change it just in case and it turned out it was still ok for use. not sure why your pilot bearing woulda gone out and done that to the seals. when i changed my clutch last time the pilot had no bearings in it at all and it didn't hurt anything surprisingly.

I guess it was the clutch that let loose this time??? What clutch are you running in it?

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was running an AC Delco Clutch this time, all I could afford at the time it broke, then was covered under its parts warranty.

I talked to the dealer this morning, and they said the Sping in the pressure plate came out, and the fly wheel got chewed up in the break.

They are replacing the clutch assembly and flywheel, and throw out bearing, the front brake pads where shot and turning the rotors. $2300 total.

XL parts wont give me any money back on the clutch yet, they would just give me a new one, and of course the dealership dose not deal or ever herd of them so I cant get the parts warrantied out. Also the Heavy Duty Throw out bearing I bought from ford cannot be covered udner parts warranty, even though I have, and the other shop has the reciepts ( which I think it is BS).

Anyone want to buy a 99 PSD? lol

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
I was running an AC Delco Clutch this time, all I could afford at the time it broke, then was covered under its parts warranty.

I talked to the dealer this morning, and they said the Sping in the pressure plate came out, and the fly wheel got chewed up in the break.

They are replacing the clutch assembly and flywheel, and throw out bearing, the front brake pads where shot and turning the rotors. $2300 total.

XL parts wont give me any money back on the clutch yet, they would just give me a new one, and of course the dealership dose not deal or ever herd of them so I cant get the parts warrantied out. Also the Heavy Duty Throw out bearing I bought from ford cannot be covered udner parts warranty, even though I have, and the other shop has the reciepts ( which I think it is BS).

Anyone want to buy a 99 PSD? lol
you can drop it off in my back pasture tomorrow night if your that tired of it. LOL They are freaking raping you! $2300 for a clutch swap and brakes??? thats just outrageous. coulda bought 3 or 4 Valair clutches for that!!!! plus how long does their book say to change a clutch? only really takes a couple hours, but wonder what the book calls for. sucks you had to take it to the dealer though.. sorry your having problems with it, but it should work well for quite awhile now IF they do everything right and i hope they do!!!

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
R & R on the tranny was 8.1

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
8.1 seems outrageous, I could do that on my back at home and I'm slow as chhit!! sorry to hear about your problems I would hope you don't have any more issues for a long time.

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also that their Labor rate on Diesels up here in Maryland is $127 an hour...

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talk to a buddy back home and all their books call for 6.0-6.5 Hrs, I don't think the service advisor knows
I used to be one too

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
in your situation, I never minded fair- but gouging sucks, book time and labor rate. Whats with changing the labor rate for diesels???? does it take more shop overhead to work on them or did they just see you(us) coming?

·
Registered
654 Posts
That's fucxxd up man!!!!! In Indiana it like 79-89$$ a hour. That's bad if u ask me I wouldent pay that mutch if I had to. But u are in a bad spot. So i see y you would. Sorry to here that good luck

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ended up being $2100 after the service adviser "massaged" the price, which I know he could have massaged it more then that, I used to be a service adviser, I know how that stuff works.

They put in all ford parts, which alone was $1279

I got all the old parts back, and its the same as the first time it went out, one of the springs on the pressure plate, the end of it actually came out of the plate and the metal on the plate near the end out the spring looked like a can opener had its way with it. Ill try and get some pics of it.

That dug into the fly wheel, and the center part of the whole assembly that the input shaft goes in was spinning freely.

yeah when I get back in town im going to take it up to XL parts and raise hell and try and get some money back, this thing is so new it barley even has dust on it, and still clean...

·
Bye-Bye 6.0, Hello 7.3!
80 Posts
You must mean the springs are coming out of the hub of the disc. That sucks man. When the 6-speed in my 6.0L broke, I did a South Bend clutch while I was there, and with one guy helping me, it probably took 5-6 hours to R&R both pieces and neither of us had done one before, but both of us have been turning wrenches for a good long while. Hopefully Ford will give you some kind of warranty this time and if it fails another disc you'll have something to fall back on. Make sure you get your old parts back too. Go get a replacement and then return it with your reciept from Ford as a reason.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I do all my own work on my truck. The pros are supposed to be pros but somehow I seem to do just as well as they do. Without the big bill.

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You must mean the springs are coming out of the hub of the disc. That sucks man. When the 6-speed in my 6.0L broke, I did a South Bend clutch while I was there, and with one guy helping me, it probably took 5-6 hours to R&R both pieces and neither of us had done one before, but both of us have been turning wrenches for a good long while. Hopefully Ford will give you some kind of warranty this time and if it fails another disc you'll have something to fall back on. Make sure you get your old parts back too. Go get a replacement and then return it with your reciept from Ford as a reason.

yeah thats whats happening.

·
Travelin PhotoG
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do all my own work on my truck. The pros are supposed to be pros but somehow I seem to do just as well as they do. Without the big bill.

I am not mechanically inclined to do that, nor do I have the time. I have to be somewhere pretty much every weekend and usually not in the same state.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts