Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after replacing the fuel bowl, hoses and fuel pump I hop in the crew cab to drive to the jasper area to pick up some parts, I leave the driveway and my BRAND NEW transmission wont shift into 3rd or overdrive. The guy that rebuilds all of my transmissions is a good friend of mine so i took it back to him. He hooked his new scan tool up to it and its not throwing any codes. He says the computer is telling the transmission to shift and it isn't even trying to. He doesn't think its the transmission because its not slipping. Any ideas? I'm about ready to fix this and trade it for the first 2wd 5 speed PSD that isn't a regular cab that I see! :doh::doh::doh::doh:

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Check the plug goign to the solenoid pack. Make sure it is good and seated. Actually unplug it apply some die-electric grease and plug it back in. If that doesn't do it then I am gonna say either the solenoid pack is fubar or the valvebody is stuck. You could try manually shifting it. If it shifts manually then it is definitely the solenoid pack. Also check the MLPS and verify that it is clocked properly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It runs through the 1-2 shift fine its 2-3 and 3-4 i don't have. I'm going to try pulling the pan tomorrow and clean the valve body and pray a whole lot. I already tried the plug and it didn't help.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The computer can command the 3-4 upshift all it wants but if the solenoid pack doesn't activate the correct solenoids then it will not shift. Just a heads up. They are failure prone. When I put my new trans in a couple months back, I went through three solenoid packs before I got a good one. Two remans and a brand new ford unit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did the one from ford run you? Did you replace it yourself? If so whats involved in doing it?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I did all the work on the solenoid packs and the diagnostics myself. A new unit should be around 150.00. It didn't cost me a dime though. I bought an extreme duty trans and the company paid for my work and the parts. It is super easy to replace. The biggest thing involved is wiggling the solenoid pack loose without getting the urge to use a screwdriver to pry it out. If you do it's game over cause you will damage the gasket which requires pulling the valvebody and getting a new gasket. The procedure is as follows:
1. Drain fluid from and drop the pan.
2. Disconnect plug from solenoid pack on outside of trans.
3. Remove all ten t-27 IIRC or t-30 torx head bolts and one 10mm nut
4. Gently but with firm downward pressure slowly wiggle solenoid pack loose.
5. Take new solenoid pack and lube o-ring thoroughly
6. Clean hole where plug goes through and lube it
7. Install new pack and tighten bolts and nut to 10 ft lbs IIRC
8. Reinstall pan and gasket
9. Plug connector back into solenoid pack
10. Fill pan with fluid, check for leaks, and verify fluid level and operation of solenoid pack.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i pulled the pan off today to change the solenoid packs and found the filter was laying in the bottom of the pan! 1 new filter and new fluid and she is shifting great again. Thanks for all of the help though!

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
When you put the new filter in did you make sure that there wasn't another o-ring for the filter up inside the hole where the filter goes? That is a common reason for the filter falling out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts