Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 f-250 i am thinking about investing in a ts 6-position chip but i still have the factory trans. Should i try to get a shift kit or a rebuild kit? or do i need anything at all?

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I have a 2001 f-250 i am thinking about investing in a ts 6-position chip but i still have the factory trans. Should i try to get a shift kit or a rebuild kit? or do i need anything at all?
Not for just some custom tunes but an aftermarket valve body from John Woods or BTS will help your shifts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the trans is an automatic and has a little over 200,000 miles on i but the highest tune would be the preformance which would add 140 horse, would that be the the best chip to get or is there somthing better to get

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And where did you say the best place to get the valve body from?

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Yeah with 200k just remember if you play, your gonna pay. If you get the chip, forget the valve body and just start saving up for a trans especially if you spend a lot of time in the race tune. Which chip are you looking at?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ts performance 6-position chip with a stock,high idle,50,75,100,and 140horse a couple buddy's of mine have and they love it and from reading around it sounds like its one of the best for the 7.3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So your saying that it would be best to someone to burn a chip for me, can they burn them so that it will let the trans last a little bit longer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks haha if I put a deeper transmission pan and even a better torque converter help or do I need to just do like kilapapipa said and just save for a good transmission.

·
Rock Steady
959 Posts
Do what Bruce mentioned also , I just put Jon's(Beans) tunes on my stock F-450 other than the 6.0 trans. oil cooler and love them.Will do the BTS valve body when I have the paper. Have Swamps tunes on the Lawn Ornament.

Read through the link he attached and call your top three picks and talk to them.

Watch the boards and pick up another chip used whens funds permit to send to your second choice and try them both, sooner or later you will find the one you truck like best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When i do get this chip would an overboost kit be useful or not I know peopel that do and that dont would it be helpful or a waste of money

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
So your saying that it would be best to someone to burn a chip for me, can they burn them so that it will let the trans last a little bit longer.
The only real mod my truck has is a canned ts tunned chip.
Been on my truck for 140k..oem trans is fine. But it does shift like pooh at times.
An after market tuner..aka do,dp,bean,php etc will shift better

Btw my truck has almost 250k now.
You won't get a full 140 usually without some other kind of mods...ie injectors, turbo etc

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've got the PHP Hydra and it made a big difference all around with shifting and power. Bill builds into his tune were you dont need a boost fooler, so you dont get defuelled and throw a light. Plus with that chip you get all the tunes he has available and it will tell you which tunes you should run per your HEX code. Also, you can have other tuners email you their tunes and download then to the chip. Holds up to 17 tunes. Go to powerhungy.com and check it out. I also like that I'm not stuck with 6 tunes and dont have to send it in to reprogram, just plug in the laptop and change what I want.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Thanks haha if I put a deeper transmission pan and even a better torque converter help or do I need to just do like kilapapipa said and just save for a good transmission.
Let's say you get a good torque converter and the the trans goes. It will take that $1000 tc with it. Now a valve body can easily be cleaned and re-used. As for a boost fooler, ask the tuner you choose what they rec. I Here some tuners don't anymore. A 6.0 trans cooler will be much better than a deeper pan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked up the PHP hydra and can u switch on the fly like u can with the ts chip.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
A deeper pan will do nothing for your trans.....dont waste your money

I looked up the PHP hydra and can u switch on the fly like u can with the ts chip.
Yes you can.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
yessir. Just not when your putting the wood to it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts