Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some searching, haven't come up with a definitive answer, just lots of conjecture. 2004 Excursion 4x4 with 5r110 and a electronic shift transfer case. What lube does it take? I understand I can't go wrong with the Ford XL-12 transfer case fluid, but what if I can't get that? I know my local dealer parts guy scratched his head when I asked about it. lol And what about a 2003 F-250 (6.0) with manual tranny and a manual shift transfer case? Does anyone have a definitive guide out there?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Your 04 Excursion has a NP273 T case in it (New Process)
Your 03 250 has a NP271 T case in it

The difference between 3 and 1 is E shift of Manual otherwise the cases are very similar (same case, same driveshafts. etc)

both trucks transfer cases use Mercon V
Older Mercon III will also work but Mercon V is a full synthetic and I only recommend full synthetic
Mercon V is also what is inside your auto transmission

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you're wrong on one point at least.....tranny takes Mercon SP/LV. That I do know, because I've read through countless posts of people worrying when Ford made the switch from SP to LV, and not knowing how it would affect the 5R110. And then I found a link straight to Ford which states LV for the 5R110.

And after I wrote that I did some more digging. Looks like a lot of people are using Mercon V without problems, but there were issues with it in some xfer cases which originally called for straight Mercon, so Ford basically re-bottled Mercon and called it XL-12. The issues with the V was gunk and sludge buildup, with a couple instances of the xfer case essentially detonating. I'm going to stick with XL-12 and just order online.

Reactions: 410customs

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Hes right, It takes tranny fluid. Not really sure which one and i no longer have access to Mitchel, but it won't matter too much. It wont take the lv or any of that new stuff. Mercon V should work just fine.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
found this published 07/2016 (pretty recent) direct from Ford

The 4r100 uses V and the 5r100 Torqueshift uses LV I had no idea! What a PITA

For a chain driven t case, ATF is good IMO, III, V, I do not think it really matters but for simplicity I just run the same ATF that's in the trans

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/atf.pdf

·
Native Texan
9,050 Posts
Well Ford told me not to use any trans fluid past mercon V in transfer case so we just run transfer case fluid in all the 4x4 ambulances now. I got that info direct from ford tech that I work with on these ambulances.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts