Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BigMo
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, had a very strange incident towing earlier this week. Was pulling a small utility from Knox to ATL, bout 2500 lbs loaded. Temp was 96 deg that day, cruising down I75 bout 70 mph suddenly the Livewire starts flashin on trans temp (set alarm at 220). So i back out of it and start watchin it. It wud go up to 230, fan kick in, then cool down. Couple miles, do it again. Stopped at a rest area and checked it, little low, but on the mid range. Drove it some more and it never got over 188deg after that. Think thermostat got stuck?? Never did that even pullin 15k lb big trailer
Sorry for the long story

·
BigMo
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So cud it be the trans bypass thermostat or whatever its called? A few miles of heat, then nothing....normal after

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
if the Fan was kicking in and the Temp dropped I doubt it was a bad sender
Hopefully Mark K will reply after I move this to the trans section

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
Without knowing anything about the truck I can't make any useful suggestions or even guess as to what happened.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
If the thermostat got stuck I wouldn't expect the fan to have any effect on the trans temperature. If the thermostat is stuck very little flow gets to the coolers, so it doesn't matter how much air flows over the coolers.

My SWAG* is that the temp sensor is starting to go bad. Or maybe you picked up some debris that covered the coolers and it fell off when you stopped.

*SWAG - Silly Wild A Guess

·
BigMo
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks Mark....no debris was noticed....it has me baffled...maybe the Livewire was havin a "moment" ? I dont know, scared the crap outta me, just had trans built to the tune of $4k less than a yr ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts