Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could too much trans fluid cause high temps? and lugging in reverse?

Brand new tc, no metal or parts in the pan, new fluid new filter, no kinks in trans lines.

somehow even just crusing around my trans gets hot, 150-165, bts trans and 6.0 cooler.

the only thing i can figure is i might have possibly added too much fluid, its up a little past the white on the dip stick...where it the actuall "full" mark? top of the white? top of the honey combs?

any suggestions??

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Lugging in reverse doesn't sound good.

Have you performed a flow test to make sure your coolers aren't clogged?

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i havnt, i "flushed the coolers" but i had a kink in my trans line i just found saturday, i havnt tried re flushing them yet.....im sure not much #### got through the kink....

·
Caption This
4,259 Posts
Driving backwards will cause the fluid to get hotter that driving forward. Too much fluid wil cause it to get hotter that the right amount of fluid. 150°-165° isn't hot.

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brian said my trans with that cooler and all shouldnt get above 130.

it gets to 150-165 just crusing not getting into it at all on a 70* day, when its 100 outside itll probably be close to 190ish

·
OEM Moderator
9,379 Posts
So what were these high temps in reverse? 75-100 over ambient is pretty darn common in warm weather.

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe they arent high - Its just when brian told me my temps should be about 130 with the 6.0 cooler and them being 150+ and the lugging in reverse, only when the trans temps are above 150.

·
Registered
119 Posts
it was 80 degrees here today, i almost got the trans temp to 145... where is your cooler located? is it behind the a/c condenser? if so parking it around front might be an idea... as for the lugging i dont know for sure. the cooler i have was on my truck when i got it, its an inch thick, 13" high and 22" across. it was behind my a/c condenser, so i moved it in front of my condenser and built a deflector/screen to keep the bugs out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts