Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is normal for trans temp in average day to day driving?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Always at 165 city driving with the 450. Seen 200 towing heavy...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am seeing about 175 to 185 most of the time, normal driving not pushing it. Is That too high? No load not towing.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
At want temp are you hurting the trans? I have seen mine hit 220 before towing very heavy. I think I have seen even higher than that.
i wouldnt worry about 220 to much. that is getting hot but if u dont substain it for a long time its fine. i see 230 on way slow steep grades but after about 230-235 it engages the fan and seems to start circulating faster because it drops like a rock. it'll climb up to 235 then without changing in road conditions drope to 180 ish. if you start to climb towards 250 you need to do something though. anything over 250 for much time at all is gonna lead you to problems. but i pull around 18k up 7-8 % grades with turns so you can only go about 35 and the highest ive ever seen was 236. if your going over 50ish the converter will lock and it cools down fast as well. and towhaul does make a big difference on temps. egt's coolant and trans all stay lower when im in towhaul. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yesterday I saw my trans temp hit 212 at the crest of a 6 mile hill. I was towing 7K up a slow (30-40mph) hill from 5,000' to 6,500'. EOT hit 221 and ECT hit 212. I was running the 175 Spartan tune with the tow/haul mode on.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
i think the hottest ive seen my tranny was 201 while towing mikes truck to sacramento, up the grape vine.
engine and oil were at about 214 oil and 220 coolant. it puked a little but only because they stopped traffic on the grade.
i engage tow/haul mode once its up and going, but it really sucks when the trailer speed limit is 55mph and there is traffic like a mofo.
i found it alot easier on the tranny, coolant and oil temps when its 60+

·
daddystoy
185 Posts
I have been seeing between 168-175 with Spartan 250 tune installed.

EOT hovers around 195 and ECT hovers around 192. Depending how I run they move up a few degrees. Never over 200 though, 200 is as high as I have seen them go. Been wondering what safe temps are. Good question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts