Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the trans temp sender mounted in the test port on the side sensitive to mounting depth like the EGT probe is? Can it be mounted too far in and either come in contact with the transmission casing or something else and not just be in the fluid flow and read high?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
It can go too deep and hit the end of the port. That can damage the sensor.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The PO of my sig truck put on a newer pan with drain plug, also put a temp probe on side of pan about 3/4 of an inch from bottom of pan on driver's side forward of drain plug. Will this provide adequate temps compared to the test port location?

TIA,

jrc

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The PO of my sig truck put on a newer pan with drain plug, also put a temp probe on side of pan about 3/4 of an inch from bottom of pan on driver's side forward of drain plug. Will this provide adequate temps compared to the test port location?

TIA,

jrc
I'm not exactly positive on this, but the temps you will see with that location will be lower than if it were in the test port on the side. The test port gets fluid that is moving through the trans under pressure and around all the moving parts. The fluid in the pan is surrounded by more fluid and somewhat sitting there in the pan that gets air flow and will be a cooler reading. I'm not sure how much cooler but a little bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts