Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you guys using an electric or mechanical temp gauge? I wasnt sure if the mechanical gauge had enough cable with it to reach the trans pan from the a pillar.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
????

They gauge I had you just run a single wire to the trans temp sender that you put in the side of the tranny up to the gauge.

Not sure if you call that mechanical or electric

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Do they even make mechanical tranny gauges? Why would you want tranny fluid in your cab? I would think an electric would be far more accurate than mech

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Mechanical gauges typically have a type of temperature reactive fluid in a copper tube, it will run from the back of the gauge to what ever location you install the probe at.

I doubt there is anyone running a mechanical trans temp gauge on this site. About the only mechanical gauge anyone runs anymore is a boost gauge. Everything else is electric..

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Do they even make mechanical tranny gauges? Why would you want tranny fluid in your cab? I would think an electric would be far more accurate than mech

Yes they do, but your not running tranny fluid in the cab...

Fully mechanical gauges have there place. They are far more resistant to vibration then an electric gauge and are just as accurate. Just more of a pain to install.

Only Mechanical Pressure gauges will run a fluid into the cab, fuel pressure, tranny pressure. And most will run some kind of a isolation fluid with a check valve when they do run them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Come on guys I must have word this wrong. A mechanical gauge the temperature sender is permantly attached to the gauge and you install the the sender just like a electric sender. Mechanical temperature gauges dont run fluid to the gauge like psi gauges. Mechanical gauges are less likely to fail because you take the electric sender out of the equation. Its basically like a thermocouple wire and the mechanical gauges like water temp, trans temp, etc. are usually more accurate. Thanks for your help looks like most everybody is runnning electric.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Come on guys I must have word this wrong. A mechanical gauge the temperature sender is permantly attached to the gauge and you install the the sender just like a electric sender. Mechanical temperature gauges dont run fluid to the gauge like psi gauges. Mechanical gauges are less likely to fail because you take the electric sender out of the equation. Its basically like a thermocouple wire and the mechanical gauges like water temp, trans temp, etc. are usually more accurate. Thanks for your help looks like most everybody is runnning electric.

What are you asking? I explained it above... Mechanical gauges are OLD school, You can not buy a Autometer or Isspro tranny temp gauge in a mechanical set up anymore, at least not in any of the popular styles, and why would you...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alot of your autometer gauges still have them. Ultra lite etc. Ive been outlaw 10.5 drag racing with a twin turbo mustang for years and for water and trans temp we always use mechanical because they seem to be more accurate and less trouble. The electric ones are easier to install when it is a long run like when mounting on the a pillar. I was just wondering what most people were using on psd. Thanks for the info.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
They are no more or less accurate... They do stand up to vibration better the the electrics, but thats not an issue in our trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts