Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering which would be a more accurate reading - a gauge that reads straight from the tranny or a monitor that reads from the computer? Im tired of my pos Isspro gauge not working and have been thinking about Edge's new Insight CTS. My bro in law has both a CTS and Autometer gauges in his OBS and the CTS reading is slightly lower than the gauge.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
They are both accurate, but read the temperatures at different places.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are both accurate, but read the temperatures at different places.
so if i get a edge monitor that reads off the computer, what temps should i be looking for? what would be considered the safe range?

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
965 Posts
From Tank's library:

Attachments

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
Tank's library is good if you're using 1960's fluids. Those charts are worse than useless for modern transmissions and ATFs.

You can run as high as 220°F all day long with NO problems. Your trans and trans fluid life is NOT shortened as shown in those charts. You can run as high as 250°F for up to 1/2 hour with no problems.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys but my question is if a gauge and the computer read two different temps and anything under 220 on the gauge is ok, then what is ok from the computer reading? Am I making any sense? Haha

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
965 Posts
Tank's library is good if you're using 1960's fluids. Those charts are worse than useless for modern transmissions and ATFs.
You can run as high as 220°F all day long with NO problems. Your trans and trans fluid life is NOT shortened as shown in those charts. You can run as high as 250°F for up to 1/2 hour with no problems.
I did not know that, thanks for the updated info Mark. :ford:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts