Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Diesel Only!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 PSD Van and I just had my E4OD rebuilt. The guy who rebuilt it (an ex-ford trans tech now doing independent trans work on the side) said that he wasn't quite happy with it after the rebuild and I'm noticing the same problems he noted... it's certainly not driving like it should drive when it came off the lot.

I'm getting soft/slow/spongy shifts at most types of acceleration (slow and even WOT acceleration). I'm getting flaring RPMs between gears and I'm getting bogging down going into 4th gear.

None of this seems right. The guy who did the rebuild is saying that it's electronics (PCM) causing the problems.

Is this right or is it a cop-out of having to go back in? It seems to me that the valve body would control how firm the shifts are. Doesn't the computer simply tell the trans when to shift or also the firmness of the shift? Is there a modulator on the transmission? If so what controls that?

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Get him to fix it.Yes a computer can cause problems,but most not likely.I made a mistake of listening to that computer BS!

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
If it wasn't doing it before the rebuild then it shouldn't just suddenly start doing it after the rebuild..

·
Diesel Only!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it wasn't doing it before the rebuild then it shouldn't just suddenly start doing it after the rebuild..
The problem is that I bought the van with no 4th gear so I don't know too much about it's history. It seemed like the flaring shifts are a new thing though. I really don't recall the soft shifts.

It doesn't always flare and it's not a huge flare but the RPMS do increase a bit mid shift.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Is this right or is it a cop-out of having to go back in? It seems to me that the valve body would control how firm the shifts are. Doesn't the computer simply tell the trans when to shift or also the firmness of the shift? Is there a modulator on the transmission? If so what controls that?
Yes but the VB needs some parts to make the shifts right sometimes springs, valves. Did he put in the good shift solinoid ? Sometimes the linepressure needs to be fiddled with that can be in the tuning.

·
Diesel Only!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes but the VB needs some parts to make the shifts right sometimes springs, valves. Did he put in the good shift solinoid ? Sometimes the linepressure needs to be fiddled with that can be in the tuning.
He said that he put all new solenoids into the trans.

·
Diesel Only!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure what the orange one is but I'm guessing the better solenoid? I'm not sure what he used for them.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
If you paid for a rebuild then you should get a rebuild. If he needed to replace more parts that werent originally quoted you should have gotten a phone call to say "hey its gonna cost a little more". If he cant fix it after another 'tinkering' then ask him if he knows somebody who will. Or ask for the money back/different transmission. Doesnt sound right to me.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
The orange one is one of the best.
I was told by my connection at the Ford dealership,the orange is Fords updated-post99 solinoid pack to cure the4r100 3-4 shift flare issues. The casting flows better.Transgo addressed this in their kits by drilling more holes in the casting if you have a older casting.

·
Do you smell something?
641 Posts
The man is full of ####.... period end of story....

Tell him to quit being a lazy bitch and open the thing back up and drill out the plate bigger....

I just finished my motorhome (95 e350) :)

mine shift firm crisp and like it should... I also drilled my plate out a bit larger...but it is a motorhome....

You paid for a rebuild... the tranny shop should make it shift better than new....

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I was told by my connection at the Ford dealership,the orange is Fords updated-post99 solinoid pack to cure the4r100 3-4 shift flare issues. The casting flows better.Transgo addressed this in their kits by drilling more holes in the casting if you have a older casting.
I have the orange solinoid pack in my 4r .

·
Diesel Only!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You paid for a rebuild... the tranny shop should make it shift better than new....
Even if it shifted like new I'd be happy. There's no way Ford could have sold this off the lot the way it's shifting now.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Even if it shifted like new I'd be happy. There's no way Ford could have sold this off the lot the way it's shifting now.
My truck shifted soft and slow when new,but did not flare any shifts.The name Superduty did not fit the trans.In fact it was the softest shifting trans I ever drove in a truck.I was shocked from day one. Google shift flare and you will see it is pretty common on these transmissions. Ford has a few TSB's also.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Are you running a tuner? if so that will cause lugging in 4th due to the programming, superchips, edge, etc are notorious for this. soft shifts are that way due to Fords programming, they engineer vehicles to the masses, not us who would prefer a firm shift. hook it up to a scan tool and make sure that all pressures are good, and solinoids are working as they should. if so then yes you need to look at the computer. a TS style chip can be programmed with a better computer code (pmt1) to eliminate those shift flares. I'm not saying something isn't wrong but these trans either work or they don't. if none of this cures anything then you should look for another case to build. ask him the condition of the valve body when it was gone through, worn etc. also what was the condition of the trans before rebuild? metal in pan? etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts