Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got the option to change from manual transmission to auto. My dads gonna rebuild his auto as soon as i give him my answer. So i was wondering what are some of yalls opinions such as having an auto trans in an obs since i want to chip my truck etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
the auto will hold boost through shifts where as the manual has to start all over between shifts. If you have a strong auto, you will do better than a manual truck with the same mods.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what i figured. Its just that my dad's burnt up on him even with stock modifications (intake, straight pipe). And well yeah i didn't want that happening to me.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Ya, it needs to be built. Stock trannys wont get you far when it comes to modding the truck. You need to get a strong auto in order to hold any horse power. If you are happy with your 5speed and dont want to drop the coin, then i'd stay stick with it.

·
Needing Carbon Credits
126 Posts
If your gonna start moddin', he better build you a good trans that will hold up. For mild injectors you are going to need more than a standard rebuild. Other that that, go for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i dont ever plan on going as far as injectors, i think the highest i would probably go is just chip,intercooler, and maybe an adrenaline hpop. More than likely im probably still gonna swap since id rather have my dad have a truck that will last him since its his work truck and he fixes anything i break anyways. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I think for the price of a "built" E4OD you'd be ahead by keeping your ZF, replace the dual mass flywheel and get stronger clutch then take the balance of dough and put toward chip, jectors and go fast stuff.....

I have both trannies and like both...as noted above the Auto is nice for pure acceleration as you don't loose boost and is seemless compared to ZF. You can get (or make) a short throw shifter for the ZF and I think is a worthwhile mod...my vote is to keep your ZF upgrade a bit an get chip and 'jectors in that thing....heh heh..

jrc

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think for the price of a "built" E4OD you'd be ahead by keeping your ZF, replace the dual mass flywheel and get stronger clutch then take the balance of dough and put toward chip, jectors and go fast stuff.....

I have both trannies and like both...as noted above the Auto is nice for pure acceleration as you don't loose boost and is seemless compared to ZF. You can get (or make) a short throw shifter for the ZF and I think is a worthwhile mod...my vote is to keep your ZF upgrade a bit an get chip and 'jectors in that thing....heh heh..

jrc
I appreciate the ideas but i just spoke with my dad and its a done deal, he's getting the tranny beefed up completely.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i had a truck with both the auto is crazy expensive to get to hold power. I also had a zf 5 with a stock truck and loved it. Iether way youll like it. On a second note i love the color of your trcuk man is that factory and do you have anymore pictures??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i had a truck with both the auto is crazy expensive to get to hold power. I also had a zf 5 with a stock truck and loved it. Iether way youll like it. On a second note i love the color of your trcuk man is that factory and do you have anymore pictures??
Thanks man. Nah is not factory, my room mate painted it here at the college. And here ya go Post pic of your OBS.. - Page 216 - Powerstroke Nation Thanks again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for what you plan on for mods I would say a 6.0 TC, 6.0 cooler and a shift kit should be fine enough.
TC as in transmission cooler right? I was thinking about that one. Plus we have a spare 6.0 cooler around the shop, all i need is the rest of the hardware.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no TC is torque converter, and I meant a 6.0 trans cooler, but a 6.0 intercooler and custom pipes would be great too.
lol yeah i knew what tc meant but i was just thinking you meant trans cooler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts