Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I know how old it can get reading questions over and over but ive read here and there about putting an E4OD in the older IDI's. I know they are electronic and my 85 isnt but ive seen somewhere that they will work but some places ive seen that they wont. I know the popular swap is the ZF5 but ive got a good deal on this rebuilt E4OD. I know the C6 is pretty much bulletproof and I havent had a problem with it yet except im only seeing about 11mpg's and with diesel $4 a gallon its eating my wallet. Any input is appreciated gentleman. Thank ahead of time

·
Registered
477 Posts
it will bolt in you just need the e4od torque converter and youll have to change most of the wire harness of the truck i belive along with the bottom of the dash to accept the overdrive button

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
From what ive seen at the JY there is a little plastic unit that attatches to the IP for trans reference. Other than that i think the TCM is standalone

·
Registered
477 Posts
your right i forgot bout that...the plastic unit is the tps switch on the injection pump

·
Stone Crusher
371 Posts
To do this swap. Don't waist your time with the factory TCM. Look into an aftermarket unit, like PCS. That will take care of the wire harness.

Is your truck 4X2. You will need a pre 92 tailshaft. This will give you a provision for the speedometer cable. 4X4 dosn't count.

Your E4OD will need the pre 92 manual position lever to work with the C6 linkage.

·
Trailer Trash...
603 Posts
To do this swap. Don't waist your time with the factory TCM. Look into an aftermarket unit, like PCS. That will take care of the wire harness.

Is your truck 4X2. You will need a pre 92 tailshaft. This will give you a provision for the speedometer cable. 4X4 dosn't count.

Your E4OD will need the pre 92 manual position lever to work with the C6 linkage.
This.

The E4OD harness is integrated into the engine and dash harness and its a major PITA, The harness on my truck is a C6 harness, and I have an E4OD harness in the garage, its about twice as big as the C6 harness... Your better off getting an aftermarket controller, and that way you have control over your shifts as well. Might be easier to sell the E4OD to someone who needs it, and look at buying a GV or Other OD unit, that way you have the best of both worlds...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive been looking at a GV for the C6 for awhile now but I cant find any that are reasonably priced. And they are pretty hard to come by. Just gotta keep looking I guess. Thanks again for the help guys. Merry Christmas to everyone btw

·
Registered
298 Posts
the E4OD also needs a tach signal if you use the factory harness the tach sensor is mounted in the housing that covers the IP drive gear so you might have to change the IP drive gear as well to use a factory setup

you could switch to ZF5 for better economy i think joedaddy had one for sell

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i read that joedaddy had one for sell but would the tranny for the 2wd fit the 4wd? what kind of total cost do you think i'm looking at for the complete parts list for the ZF swap minus the actually tranny itself?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts