Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who sells them I, can't find any one. I have to put a trans in my truck so I'm gonna go with one of these maybe, also the talk about pump mods. What can I expect to have to do for this? I'm not sure if Ifeel comfortable puling the front of the trans apart, The VB is a no brainer, but the rest of trans is more than I'd like to tackle. Any imput from you guys is very apretiated. Thanks

Dan

·
Race car driva.......
150 Posts
If you cannot find one I have a source.

There are a few other bits and pieces I like to put in the accumulator that the kit will not have, and some stuff from the kit I toss in the trash.

The pump mods are always a plus, but a pita to install.

Honestly if you want just to firm up the shifts a pre modded accum like the one from BTs, JW or myself is the best route to go and a whole lot easier to put in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All you will be doing is putting a bandaid on the trans.Putting shift kits,Extra clutchs,shafts,billet converters etc and still you have not fixed the problems
that are most common to cause failure!These are the things most builders do
and say they have fixed the trans.That is not true,there is a reason why I have 3.5 hours of machine work in every trans.There is a reason that some transmissions take over $1000 in new ford hard parts. There is a difference in someone who cares more about the quality of his work and not # of transmissions his does.There is a difference and always will be.

For those of you who would like to attempt to fix your own trans I will help! I have in the past sent parts to guy that likes to fix his own truck. I have found that in 26yrs of doing this most guys at home can do a better job then most builders in production shops. So fix it right!

Transman

·
all ur OBS r belong to me
1,591 Posts
I have one for sale... complete kit with instructions.

I paid $150 for it from Suncoast, PM me an offer if you are interested.

Transman, I am going to beef up my tranny (Ford Reman with about 10k on it) this fall because the TC is already going out on it. I may emplore upon your wisdom as I attempt to rebuild it myself. I might have to PM you with my goals and get your opinion.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey what about Sonex kits that DI sells?? I'm putting a Ford HD reman. trans in, don't start. I'm getting a real good deal, less than 1800.00 for it. When you spend the kind of money we do at the ford realer it has it perks. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I have a write up on all the stuff they suposable do to it at home somewhere. I can't afford a BTS or John Wood unit, but I also don't make crazy amounts of horse power either. I think this trans will do fine with what I've done, I figure a little help from a VB or shift kit won't hurt. If I go with a BTS VB I will get a hold of Jody and change tunes for it and the other things done. Thanks I hope this clears up any confusion, and sorry about the long windedness, thanks again.

Dan

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone said they checked the price and Ford wanted 2900.00 for it, Take it from someone who found out the hard way, don't ever buy a truck that you can't aford to fix!! If I had money to burn like some people I would be more that happy to drive down too BTS and have Brian fix it the right way as you guys point out, but I can't aford it so I'm doing the best I can. I'm just damn lucky I have a cool ass boss.

Dan

·
1,591 Posts
I bought mine for $1800 from Ford... Take it from someone who has a few trucks with remans, the Ford reman is junk. They are good for about 80k and they shift like crap the whole time.

Our '95 has over 400k and has been through 4 Ford transmissions. Lately we have been switching over to Jasper and have had good luck so far.

·
Taters #2 Fan
825 Posts
Ford just came out with an upgraded transmission. I think that is what he is talking about. I havent heard much from them but hear they are better?

·
Race car driva.......
150 Posts
we have had only one request for the HD ford unit, parts guy could not locate one, so I built him one instead.................;)

The remans are just that, remanufactured. And they do shift like crap.

For the poster, the best choice is to go through it and get all the junk out of it and fix the problem areas, but to answer your original question bang for the buck and ease of install get a modded vb as you all call it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had both of Fords remans apart. The difference between $1800-$2900
$1800 reman is just a reman all stock with the same problems it started with.
$2900 reman Has pto coast clutch drum ( one more friction ) Has high eneregy frictions ( same as 02-03 4r100s ) Has 6.0 converter with 7.3 frt cover. Has stock valvebody, but with .400 linemodulator valve.Still has all the same problems as before but cost $1000 more!

When Jody asked me how to tune this trans,I told him to treat it like it was stock. Because it is!

Transman

·
Registered
860 Posts
:lame:

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I would not put anything of Jaspers in my worst enemys car/truck. I have a ford reman in my truck right now it has some mods and a good converter, it is a pto tranny and yes it is a 4r100 in an OBS truck it works well and sees abuse every day of its life.

·
Hated by All
747 Posts
I got a '94 and have had to put 5 tranny's in it since new, and it's a 460 with a 102,000 miles!!!
Ford reman can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I got a '94 and have had to put 5 tranny's in it since new, and it's a 460 with a 102,000 miles!!!
Ford reman can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

Shat too make it worse I bought it(reman ford trans.) from a freind who bought it off Flea bay. HAHAAA !

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Don't know if i can get an unbiased opinion here, but...

What does everybody think of the Factory Tech/Jasper Monsterbox for a sub-400hp application?
I wouldn't. I have seen the "quality" work of Jasper. If I was fixing it to sell, I would use Jasper but other than that, not a chance.

·
1,591 Posts
I've been through many a Ford reman... they are junk IMHO. I'm pretty sure Factor Tech still builds the trans. My cousins has a Factory Tech trans behind a 383w in his Lightning and it's help up great. I just wonder how well their diesel trans works out.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I am baseing my stated opinion above on there reman Powerstrokes they suck .Customer service is horrible but that may have been due to the shop I was working at jerking them around on warrenty claims also. All I know is I got an engine and installed it and had a coolant leak after a year of being in service .The leak happened to be afront cover that had a bolt that was too long split the cooler housing mount and cause a leak that was a bastard to find. After the customer screamed for there rig back and some calling a few times a day a week later I finally got my parts to get it out.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts