Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a thread about loping after start up, my 97 powerstroke is doing the same thing. Urban wheeler suggested starting in neutral to see if it still does it. So i went out and put mine in neutral and it didnt do it. started right up and ran smooth. So where is this gear position sensor? Also , if i have some play in my gear selector, could this be the cause? I just bought this truck, (my first diesel), and am working out the bugs. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
433 Posts
its a black box on the driverside of the tranny. have a friend shift while you watch it and see where the play is. i know when you replace it you put it in neutral and tighten it up the linkage. good luck!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I think it's called the trans range sensor...

Also, for the sloppy gear selector. There are two bolts that become loose that you need to tighten to tighten the gear selector. Happens fairly often.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, i should have known it was the neutral safety switch. I went out this morning and tried it again, Started right up and ran perfect. My transmission has been acting funny also, hope it helps that situation out also.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
It is called a MLPS

As far as i know if starting the truck in neutral clears up a loppy idle, it is a weak injector, not the MLPS

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats the best way to diagnose a weak injector? Snap on scanner? I have had a bad idle and a small miss driving down the road sometimes. If there is anyone in the north wilkesboro NC area that like playing around with these trucks, and has a scanner, let me know. I want to learn as much as possible about these things.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Would probably be best to start a new thread about a miss

1 - 7 of 7 Posts