Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
fastfish1967
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand ATF do you guys recommend for my 97 F250 HD 2WD? The truck has 258K miles showing on the odometer and is bone stock right down to the original converter and muffler. The fluid is not burnt smelling but is more of a brownish color than red. The trans has a crisp shift from 1st to 2nd but has a slipping type shift from 2nd to 3rd unless I'm accelerating hard and then it shifts normal. Is there an adjustment that I can make on a band or something if I drop the valve body to tighten it all up? Also is it possible to drain the fluid from the converter without pulling the trans? I have seen drain plugs on stock converters behind gas engines is why I ask? Another also, how is the best way to flush the entire trans without pulling it? I very seldom tow anything with this truck except maybe a bass boat or an old muscle car to restore. Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
74 Posts
check the trans section there is a great write up there on how to flush it. Hope that helps, good luck

·
Registered
652 Posts
What brand ATF do you guys recommend for my 97 F250 HD 2WD? The truck has 258K miles showing on the odometer and is bone stock right down to the original converter and muffler. The fluid is not burnt smelling but is more of a brownish color than red. The trans has a crisp shift from 1st to 2nd but has a slipping type shift from 2nd to 3rd unless I'm accelerating hard and then it shifts normal. Is there an adjustment that I can make on a band or something if I drop the valve body to tighten it all up? Also is it possible to drain the fluid from the converter without pulling the trans? I have seen drain plugs on stock converters behind gas engines is why I ask? Another also, how is the best way to flush the entire trans without pulling it? I very seldom tow anything with this truck except maybe a bass boat or an old muscle car to restore. Any and all info is greatly appreciated!
Pull the cover to the bell houseing and turn the motor over with a bar to get the plug on the bottom, if i remember right it's a 9/16" about a gallon of oil, i used the first time a floor jack to hold up the pan pull bolts drop and drain into a large pan clean magnet in pan i got a drain plug set up to drill hole in pan and installed drain. Remove the filter in trans make sure you pull out the o-ring that may stay in place clean everything up install pan gasket is reuseable if i remember right it will take around 15 qts. When i filled it i filled all the way up the dip stick then start add the rest as fast as i can and leave 1 qt out and add to all most full then adjust when hot. I used Dex III
2 stroker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts