Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just a quick question with changing the tranny fluid on my 6.4

I know there is an external and internal trans filter that needs to be changed correct?

Also what is the best fluid to use for these and how much?

The truck just rolled 51k and the fluid was last changed at 20k so would this be the appropriate time to change it?

Also do I need to do anything special with changing this fluid besides the regular draining, changing filters,etc. Do I need to flush out the cooler lines or anything?

Thanks in advance, only fluid Ive ever changed was in the E4OD on my OBS

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mercon LV is the fluid you use, it replaced the Mercon SP. I can't remember exactly how much it takes, but the owners manual should tell you that.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mercon LV is the fluid you use, it replaced the Mercon SP. I can't remember exactly how much it takes, but the owners manual should tell you that.
ok great thank you, anything else special that needs to be done besides just draining the fluid and replacing the filters?

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have a Job 1 so I have the external one as well

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Does roal purple make a fluid for this?

·
Registered
661 Posts
so the black housing is the external filter in front of the trans pan... and I know there is one in the trans pan.... right? i gotta chk my truck now lol

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
i think the external filter is on its own without an internal? the externals were for 07 and older...although some 07 builds have the internal filter.

·
Was PSD0389
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm does anyone know for sure if a Job 1 only has an external? That would be a little easier than having to pull the pan as well.

Also what is the best way to get that external filter out?

·
Diesel fanatic
591 Posts
Hmm does anyone know for sure if a Job 1 only has an external? That would be a little easier than having to pull the pan as well.

Also what is the best way to get that external filter out?
Job 1s have an internal filter also. Cant help you on getting the external out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts