Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be pulling my 36' Tavel Trailer in a couple weeks and I should install and Tanny cooler. What should I get.

$$$ is very limited...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This looks to be for a 99-03 - will it work on my '97?

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
"If you have any other model of transmission, you will need to check with your repair manual or parts department to see if your transmission is equipped with a bypass valve. If it is, you don't need one. We know that 1994-1996 E4OD transmissions DO NOT have a bypass and will require the unit with the bypass valve. The bypass valve will help these vehicles maintain minimum operating temps of the fluid. "

so basically you would have to get the tru cool 4739 with the bypass valve.

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Well i was under that impression too then i called matt at beans (i ordered it through them) and they said it didn't so i bought a trucool from dieselsite and they said i didn't need the bypass valve :confused: (sorry for the derail OP)

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
What is the min op temp? I just installed th 6.0 cooler on my 96. Where do I get a bypass valve if I need one?????

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
so i bought a trucool from dieselsite and they said i didn't need the bypass valve :confused: (sorry for the derail OP)
That is because dieselsite doesn't know what they are talking about. NO E4OD nor 4R100 has a temperature controlled bypass valve from the factory.
There is a bypass valve that is pressure controlled, it will open if the cooler plugs, but it does not open when the trans is cold and close when it's warmed up. Dieselsite seems to think that is how it works and they are wrong.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Where do I get a bypass valve if I need one?????
I used a Hayden oil thermostat on mine. I purchased it from my local auto parts store.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Hey Mark do you think one needs a thermostat on the trans cooler? I currently cover mine up when if I need the truck and it is super cold out. That does seem to help it warm up. If your answer is yes any suggestions on what parts of the country would benefit from one?

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
I am going to be installing this one on a friends truck soon.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=2&Product_Code=M7B&Category_Code=tru-cool-ind&Product_Count=1

I have the true cool like Dieselsite sells mounted in behind the bumper on my truck because of space considerations with the intercooler.
Tom, would you be able to post up any post install info? I need to get a new trans cooler and I would like to get the tru cool but price is a factor.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I will try and take some pictures when I put it in for you.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Not yet but he will. We are doing a bunch of stuff to that truck. Gauges, downpipe, intake, update orange intake tube, and a chip. I bet I will be tired when it is done.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
Hey Mark do you think one needs a thermostat on the trans cooler? I currently cover mine up when if I need the truck and it is super cold out. That does seem to help it warm up. If your answer is yes any suggestions on what parts of the country would benefit from one?
Covering the cooler in cold weather works well and is a lot less expensive than a thermostat.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Covering the cooler in cold weather works well and is a lot less expensive than a thermostat.
I'm a little surprised to hear a professional engineer recommend a piece of seasonal cardboard vs a permanent installation of a $50 part.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts