Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try and start building my OBS up to about 400rwhp come spring but i know the stock trans will gernade in no time so that leaves me with the question of what to do with the trans? i want to be able to have it handle the exstra power but im only 18 so i dont have that big of a budget...is there any other good set up suggestions other then a BTS trans? I've gotten suggestions like Racer X transmission and Suncoast i hear isn't too bad...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I dont have a RacerX personally, but a friend did. First one failed in 3 days at the begining of September, warranty replacement didnt show up until FEBRUARY after much grief and countless phone calls. Second gear in that one was never right from the first shift.

Do yourself a favor, make a BTS your first upgrade, then save up and do your engine second

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, YOU HAVE TO PAY.

HP is not cheap, or the parts to support it

·
Registered
98 Posts
My Racerx Trans has held up to my stage 1s and has about 25k on it. i have done street races. and done a lot of boosted launches. it works great and have not had any problems. the only problems i have had was when i was putting it together i forgot a bearing and then had to take apart.

thanks anthony

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I wont only suggest BTS because of how fantastic the transmission is, flawless shifts and a TC that is more efficient that anything on the roads today.

But the main reason i suggest looking into them is Brians customer service. Let me share a condensed version of my story with him.

I bought a transmission used, from a guy brian knows down there. It was about 2 years old and had maybe 15k on it. Still basically brand new. Well i installed it and 5 months later i took it to the track, come to find out something wasnt right inside the TC (something that wasnt obvious until you do boosted launches). I called Brian the next day and after a 5 minute conversation he had a brand new upgraded TC out the door headed my way, all i needed to do was send him my core.
So being 2 years old and a second owner, still a no questions asked warranty! Impressive in my eyes

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have herd nothing but good things about BTS transmissions only the 5K for one kills me and finding used ones are trickey too but i guess im going to have to try and find a used one of i dont want to spend the full 5k. Thanks for the suggestions guys greatly appriciated!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
IMO its only a BTS or for a DYI..get the only kit made by a expert..John Wood..

We ship BTS all over the country..best price.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have herd nothing but good things about BTS transmissions only the 5K for one kills me and finding used ones are trickey too but i guess im going to have to try and find a used one of i dont want to spend the full 5k. Thanks for the suggestions guys greatly appriciated!
One on Powerstrokearmy right now for $4000 or so... You can find them for 3500-4000 every once in awhile

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i have been searching the classifieds and it seems every 3 months or so one comes up but they sell in a blink of an eye... guess i could just do all the HP mods and have fun trying to blow the stocker trans once i have enough for the the BTS.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What part of the transmissions usually fail first or commonly fail?

I'd like to get a list of parts needed to build the trans to hold up around 400 hp. I sent out a message to John Woods, hopefully he will reply soon and I will post up what he says.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to someone at ATS diesel and he said that a Builet stage 1 ATS transmission should hold up fine for 400hp and it has a 5 year 500,000 mile warrenty. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
182 Posts
ATS is a pretty popular company. Price is good too.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
In all the years I've been on various PSD forums, I haven't seen much positive stuff about ATS trannies for our trucks (lots of the opposite). They may get raves from the Dodge guys, but not Fords. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I dont know anything about ATS, but I think you would be better off spending the extra money and not having to worry about the possibility of needing to spend more down the road if it fails and the dealer tells you to pound it like some others have after their third "built unit" fails in 6 months

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
after hearing a lot about BTS transmissions i wasn't to enthused about the ATS transmissions i guess you get what you pay for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts