Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I did a local pull with the truck. I pulled in 2nd gear and 4 low. I am running 35 toyo mts that are getting bald. Well anyways once I got about a third of the way down the track my truck kept shifting from 1st to 2nd. It did it like 3 times. My brother pulled my truck in a diffrent class and it did the same thing. Tranny has all suncoast internals along with torque converter. What would cause it to do this? Last year the truck stayed in 2nd the whole way down with just a chip.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
It shouldn't be shifting if you have it in manual second. Are you sure it wasn't the torque converter locking and un-locking?

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems like it was downshifting and up shifting. Would the torque converter locking and unlocking feel like that?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If it is going from un-locked to locked it will almost act like a shift because it is going to drop your rpm's down and if it unlocks your going to pick those rpm's back up. Once these trannys are in manual low they don't come out, as far as I have ever known anyhow.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do I need to send my converter in? Or get a lock up switch?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
A lock up switch would help you eliminate the converter as the issue. And is a fairly easy thing to make from what I have seen. I haven't actually made one though. And then if it wont stay locked than the next step would be to send it in and have it looked over and fixed/replaced if need be!

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I found a link to make a lock up switch. There is another pull on thursday. How do I us this switch? Do I wait for once I start going and then lock it? Will it hurt anything?

·
IH Diesel Power
732 Posts
I was At that pull in wahoo last nite, and me and my buddies also thought your truck was shifting up and down alot, from the stands it seemed like more of an RPM jump than torque converter could make but I could be wrong, good pulls tho man, bout time someone runs a good Stroker around here good luck gettin her fixed

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Ya I dont know what it feels like when converter is locking and unlocking. This felt like it was changing gears but maybe thats what it feels like. I dont know what else it would be.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Ok I found a link to make a lock up switch. There is another pull on thursday. How do I us this switch? Do I wait for once I start going and then lock it? Will it hurt anything?
Don't lock it under 25mph, line pressures are too low and it just feels nasty:doh:
Turn it off before you stop or it will stall out. Again..:doh:

This switch can come in handy if you pull on different tracks

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crap I dont think I ever hit 25mph pulling. Must be something in tranny then.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Heres the video of the pull. You can hear the change in the motor towards the end. Sorry about the screaming. Thats the girls who taped it.

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So when do I lock the converter? Wait tell I get truck up to speed then lock it? Im not sure what speed I hit with the sled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts