Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed past couple days when i pull up to a red light, its like my trans won't go down into first and you can bump the throttle and you feel it drop in and shift fine. It doesn't slip, shifts great, fluid level is fine and fluid is good. Any ideas? its a 2000 f250 4x4 auto.

Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one have any kinda idea. The o/d light will flash for a second and then quit and truck shifts out fine. My code scanner says no codes but i'm pretty its just not picking them up. I know I need to find out the code, but I just thought someone might have had this happen before and could give some advice of where to look.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
Without the code I can't make a reasonable guess.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, Well I tightened up the torx head bolts on the steering column that hold the shifter linkage and it tightened up my shifter and it hasn't acted up anymore. I was having problems with my truck not starting in park and would have to put it in nuetral, so i'm just wondering if it wasn't registering what gear it was suppose to be in good.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My dad had a DRW 1999 and when the O/D flashed it said the torque converter was goin out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark,
Got codes scanned, its a p0720. What are some causes of that?

THanks tim

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
That's an output speed sensor code. It almost always is either the output sensor or the wiring to the sensor. It could be the target wheel, too, but that is VERY rare.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, thanks, i will check on it. Are those sensors expensive?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
No, they are not expensive. Then again, my idea of expensive might be different than yours....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Can you give more detail as to what the truck feels like or acts like when you say it doesn't feel like it goes down into first? When mine started to go, my torque converter wouldn't unlock at times when I came to a stop, so it was real sluggish and had that sluggish sound and kind of lurched a bit, then would catch itself and unlock.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know what ur talking about b/c I have left my t/c lock up switch on before coming up to stop. Its not that, The truck doesn't try to take off or anything, It just feels like its in between a gear and didn't know what gear to go into and as soon u start to move and drive train spins i feel drop into first. Its not a hard drop into first b/c i am barely rolling and not on the throttle. I just touch the pedal for the truck to move.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Replaced sensor last night and this morning the OD light started flashing again. I need to check codes again and see what it is. Didn't have any metal shavings on the old sensor when i pulled it out. Does anyone think it might be trash or some the valves in the valve body sticking possibly or shift solenoid?

Thanks Tim

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can someone tell me the wiring to check the resistance and what the sensor should be and stuff?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Mine started acting up a week or two ago doing exactly what yours is doing. After everything I could find and people I talked to, it seemed most likely that mine was a fluid pressure issue. After tearing into it, I did infact have a pressure issue. Mine happened because parts broke and my filter got clogged with metal in the fluid, as best I can tell. If your fluid looks good this may not be your exact problem, but I would say it could still very well be a pressure issue, like possibly the pump going out, loose filter, or something. At idle you aren't getting enough pressure to hold and the trans kind of goes into neutral. This may not be your problem, but something to check.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, I will pull the pan and check and see. Does anyone know what fluid pressure should be at idle according to a scan tool?

Do you think line pressure would cause it to do it intermittently or all the time? B/c i have had it where it won't do it for a week or so.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
Does anyone know what fluid pressure should be at idle according to a scan tool?
Line pressure is going to be correct according to the scan tool. All that can read is what the PCM wants line pressure to be. It doesn't have a sensor to know what line pressure is really doing.

Read the codes before doing anything. Otherwise you're just wasting your time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will scan it again, pretty sure its the same code as symptoms haven't really changed.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will pull the pan and check and see. Does anyone know what fluid pressure should be at idle according to a scan tool?

Do you think line pressure would cause it to do it intermittently or all the time? B/c i have had it where it won't do it for a week or so.
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45362&highlight=VB+line+pressure

This link gives you an idea of line pressures and testing.

Mine was pretty intermittent. It would actually only do it after I drove around town for about a half hour to hour. But with mine I'm guessing it took that long for the filter to get clogged up. If I wasn't driving much, just short trips I could go a long time without the problem. The issue with mine I had as far as checking is it was so intermittent that I had to make sure it was actually acting up and going to act up when I tested line pressure. Most the time the truck ran fine and line pressure would be fine also.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info, I've drove it here lately for hours on time and it hasn't done anything and then sometimes drive it for ten minutes cold and it does it. So i'm not really sure. I ran it hard last night and it never slipped or mis shifted or od flashing light. i'm still gonna run a check on the codes again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, scanned codes, I got the p0720 again and i got a p0503 now which is saying VSS. I also noticed in datastream mode when the truck is in first its saying 2nd on the scanner and when it goes into overdrive it says invalid. So is that my scanner or my truck giving a faulty reading. I'm gonna drive some more in datastream mode and see what it says and see if i can get more info.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts