Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my tranny from stock form, and have been asking some friends about what to have done, and where to get it done. So far, I have encountered two problems: 1, most of them own dodges or that 'c' word brand, and don't really have any good first-hand experience in a Powerstroke with a built tranny, and 2, they've all got different opinions and so I get a different idea from each buddy.

SO...

Since a lot of you on here have experience with this same upgrade, i'd like to hear what has or hasn't worked out well for you, and where did you have it done? I'm not really familiar with these heavy duty transmissions, so i'm trying to research and spend my money wisely.

Also, I should add that i've got a 2000 F250 with a cold air kit and a TS chip as the only performance upgrades. I would like to build this transmission to hold around 500-600 hp, as I do plan more upgrades. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
With that hp I would suggest a JohnWood or a BTS depending on what part of the country you are in. They both build a good strong trans. John Wood is in Holtville, Ca (southern) I think BTS is in Arkansas. If I'm wrong someone will jump in and correct me. Good luck.

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
BTS is what I have and its the best investment on my truck. Guaranteed to withstand getting its A$$ kicked. Awesome product and the customer service is unbeatable.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Another vote for BTS here. I did not have them build my tranny as i was short on cash but i know i will regret that decision soon.

I had a local and very trust worthy friend that specializes in the 4R100 build mine for me and i got to say that so far i am very impressed. Although im not throwing out the HP numbers you are looking for it does the job very well. For 2500 i had everything done. A BTS will be around 4300 but it's more than worth it.

For a budget build you may want to contact RacerX (site sponsor). He will have everthing you need there also.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
With that hp I would suggest a JohnWood or a BTS depending on what part of the country you are in. They both build a good strong trans. John Wood is in Holtville, Ca (southern) I think BTS is in Arkansas. If I'm wrong someone will jump in and correct me. Good luck.
:whs:And yes,BTS is in Arkansas.Evan if you upgrade with some of thier parts they will credit you those parts towards a new tranny if you decide to get the whole tranny later.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
We have droped shiped BTS trans all over the country..great prices..PM if we can get you a quote.

·
Buffalo Diesel
280 Posts
Really depends on where you are. I'm in the same boat as Dirtboy25. I had a local shop build it for $2200 with any and all abuse covered under warranty for 5 years, then prorated for life. I plan on making the same power you do, so we'll see how she holds up. I'm very satisfied with it so far.

I needed a transmission, and couldn't wait for one. I blew it up 4th of July weekend.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
No JW fans on here, huh?? Is because most of the membership is in the midwest & south or what? John builds some strong units.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And yes,BTS is in Arkansas.Evan if you upgrade with some of thier parts they will credit you those parts towards a new tranny if you decide to get the whole tranny later.
Now that sounds like my best deal. Right now I don't have the funds to get a whole built transmission, (at least one that's as nice as these units seem to be) but it's something i'm definitely saving for. And since i'm not pushing that much HP at the time being, maybe I could just get SOME work done now, and finish it off later.

That being said, what might be some of the first things I should strengthen within the tranny? Or maybe just delaying this whole project until I can afford the whole thing would be the best? I just wanna make sure I do this the right way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH yeah - I guess it might be worth noting that i'm from southern Ohio, in case someone knows a local shop and just hasn't spoken up yet.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I am running a Suncoast. Zero problems with great customer service as well. I had a Banks transcommmand on my stock one and had to disconnect some wires. My buddy did that part and screwed it up. I called Suncoast for assistance and the guy who actually built my tranny sat on the phone with me for almost an hour reading off the proper pin outs to properly hook it all back up. Got the grand tour of the place and watched them tear mine apart to show me what had went wrong with my stocker when I went to pick mine up. Its all a matter of preference. Me personally, I would do some calling around to various tranny places and go with who suits you best.

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
at what poi9nt do ya need to upgrade the tranny? like when a vb & tc aint enough?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
When you got enough hp to blow it up I guess. I still have the orig with a jw vb and a new conv but I don't have any high hp tunes, just towing tunes. When it goes I'll get a towing trans from jw.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Now that sounds like my best deal. Right now I don't have the funds to get a whole built transmission, (at least one that's as nice as these units seem to be) but it's something i'm definitely saving for. And since i'm not pushing that much HP at the time being, maybe I could just get SOME work done now, and finish it off later.

That being said, what might be some of the first things I should strengthen within the tranny? Or maybe just delaying this whole project until I can afford the whole thing would be the best? I just wanna make sure I do this the right way.
Call them up and talk to them.I don't know your finances,but you could start off with a BTS valvebody then maybe thier TC later(PI).In that order.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
BTS doesn't recomened their Tq converter for a stock trans..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts