Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have ordered a BTS or John Wood tranny what goes into the order? Do you tell them what mods you have and what tires or is it just 7.3 engine and this is the tranny you get? Thanks guys.

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
965 Posts
Give them a call and find out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
AFAIK, all of the BTS trans are about the same with the exception of tuning the trans for your application. There are no different levels with BTS. The only time he cares about what you want to use it for and what power you make is when he is tuning the shifts for it.

AFAIK, his warranty is simple. Within 2 yrs, he pays for shipping. Outside of 2 yrs, you pay for it at his bulk rate. Either way, he fixes the trans for nothing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AFAIK, all of the BTS trans are about the same with the exception of tuning the trans for your application. There are no different levels with BTS. The only time he cares about what you want to use it for and what power you make is when he is tuning the shifts for it.

AFAIK, his warranty is simple. Within 2 yrs, he pays for shipping. Outside of 2 yrs, you pay for it at his bulk rate. Either way, he fixes the trans for nothing.

Thats good stuff to know, thanks.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thats good stuff to know, thanks.
Better to get the trans. I have it and don't have any worries about who is paying for it if I break it even in 5 years.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Exactly.

AFAIK, his warranty is simple. Within 2 yrs, he pays for shipping.
Again, exactly.

Outside of 2 yrs, you pay for it at his bulk rate. Either way, he fixes the trans for nothing.
That depends. If you lie to him about what happened, he might not be so nice. After all, it's out of warranty so he isn't obligated to fix it for free (not incl s&h).
Be honest about it and he'll probably just do it for the price of parts, or free depending on what broke (not incl s&h).

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
That depends. If you lie to him about what happened, he might not be so nice. After all, it's out of warranty so he isn't obligated to fix it for free (not incl s&h).
Be honest about it and he'll probably just do it for the price of parts, or free depending on what broke (not incl s&h).
If you jerk him around, well...... We are all like that. I will work with a customer if they don't jerk me around. In any case, there was someone who saw a trans that was there and they said they did maintenance on it but they didn't. That guy was saying that Brian should refuse to warranty it but Brian said he would anyways so that they don't think he was trying to welch out on it. Also, there was someone who saw Brian tell a kid that the next time the trans came back, it would be on his dime. Why? Because he was doing the old "Giddyup Back" on it and it broke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those of you who have ordered a BTS or John Wood tranny what goes into the order? Do you tell them what mods you have and what tires or is it just 7.3 engine and this is the tranny you get? Thanks guys.
My experience goes with John Wood. He will ask you what you will be using your truck for and the performance modifications you have done. He will not try and sell you anything you do not need. He is a very knowledgable person and great to work with. You will probably spend 30 minutes to a hour on the phone talking to him about transmissions, converters, and the 7.3. I learned much from my initial conversation with him.

I cannot get over how great my truck shifts. Much better than ever before. The harder I drive the truck, the firmer it shifts. I feel confident the transmission will last a very long time regardless of how hard I push it.

Looking at your location, BTS is closer by so that may be the better choice for you. John's shop is in So CA.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
most likely they will want to know mods and intended use to
set up shift feel etc on valve body.

so while they are similar in parts there is some tweaks that are different.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Brian likes to know 4x4 or 2x4, tire size, gear ratio, hp level, how youll use it, and what kind of tuning youll have on it. He also makes recommendations. As far as hard parts, like was said, theyre all the same. The only time he gets "exotic" is on the 700+ horse stuff used in competition.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
There should be NO Reason to lie to him, since he guarantees them for any use, drag racing, competition pulling, heavy towing, ANYTHING, just let him know what your going to do. If you change your mind, and decide to heavy tow, (As I did when I had my trans swapped from my 99 SRW to the 03 DRW, to haul autos as a buisiness, (I have since stopped) he did some tweeks when he swapped the trans around, and went through my BTS at about 3 yrs old at the time) All parts the same, just different tweeks in tuning the valvebody. He did upgrade some hard parts that he didn't do three years earlier when he originally built it. Only charged me labor and fluid.
My BTS has 6 yrs and almost 100k on it, with the last 50k reasonably heavy towing.
I know little about the others, and all I can do is share my experience with BTS, all favorable!

His last words when you leave? "I dare you to break it!" and a hand shake warranty... what more can you ask for?

Now obviously neutral drops, ect... could destroy a BTS, and trust me, he has enough knowledge to know if that was the probably cause or not. Under warranty, your covered. Out of warranty, I can't say. But stupidity costs, right? :pointlaugh:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe I am old school but I like the hand shake warranty...

Thanks for all the info fellas.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Maybe I am old school but I like the hand shake warranty...

Thanks for all the info fellas.
I do take the handshake warranty ONLY IF I have seen others who have accepted it not get burnt.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear ya there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts