Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tranny issue - input needed! Please!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  00BigRed 
#1 ·
I have a '00 F250, automatic transmission, with just a cold air kit and TS chip, no other heavy mods. I haul up to 12k worth of hay and equipment with it 9 months of the year.

Ok, now that we have a description of exactly what I do with my truck, here's the problem i'm experiencing...

For the last 8 months or so i've noticed that when I put the truck into gear, (D, R, 2 - doesn't matter) there is a slight hesitation before it fully engages the transmission. So knowing it does that, I always make sure to put it in gear, wait a second, and then release the brake and accelerate. Within the last two weeks, something strange has been occurring. When I stop sometimes, the truck will lug down (just like releasing the clutch without enough fuel) and then surge, and after that revs up a slight bit then evens out. A couple times it has even stuttered several times, almost sounds like it's loping, and then finally evens out. When I put it in reverse, it does the same thing, only much more exaggerated.
I was delivering a load of hay tonight on my gooseneck, and when I tried to back into the barn, the truck lugged down, never did quite level out, and then it was like the truck didn't have enough torque to move the trailer. We got the job done, but it was tricky.

So my question is this, has anyone else experienced this before? And am I looking at a bad torque converter, a stuck/bad valve body, or just a flat out roasted tranny? Ideas??

See less See more
#3 ·
my 97 had the converter locking up sometimes it would kill the motor when you stopped, other times it would lug way down and then break free. It was full of all the clutch material that it had recently chewed up. It had an interior leak and so wasn't pumping enough fluid.

#4 ·
Well, so I had it diagnosed by two tranny shops in the area. The first one immediately tried to sell me on the fact it was a cross-leak in the pump. The second took the time to go over a few other basic things with me, and suggested just changing fluids, filters, and seeing if that made any difference before we move on with it.

So after changing engine oil, air filter, and pulling my chip off, there have been no real noticeable difference, other than the fact it wants to 'push' me in drive while at a dead stop. I'm really starting to think it's the torque converter. Now, I have been told to check the TC solenoid, and when I called the local Ford dealer yesterday, I was told they couldn't even find that part on the truck. So, what's the deal with that? I've never messed with tranny's before, so I don't know if maybe that's a part that is piggy-backed onto another module?

Also, if my pump was cross-leaking like the first place said, wouldn't I notice some poor shifting while in motion down the road?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.