Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
C&C Customs
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i got a suncoast tranny and converter i plan on installing my self this is not my first tranny install but my first ford tranny install so can yall give me some pointers
-how many quarts go in the empty tranny
-how many quarts go in the TQ converter
-whats the easyiest way to do it and any info would help

·
C&C Customs
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and its going in my 2000 4wd f250

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
666 Posts
i think it take 16 quarts total...when TSD did my converter i gave them 20quarts and they gave me 4 back.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
You don't need to put any fluid in the torque converter. The trans will fill it when you start the engine. Put 8 quarts in the trans, then run the engine for one minute. Put another 6 in and run it long enough to warm it up, moving the shifter to every position. Set the level once it's warmed up. It's difficult to read the dipstick because there will be fluid all over the inside of the tube.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Depends on whether the trans came with a stock or deep pan. The deep aftermarket pans hold about 3.5 extra quarts. Starter is bolted to trans as well so make sure you remove starter before trying to pull trans. the dipstick is a two piece and the section in the trans does not come out. It is about 8 inches long.

·
Davey B
930 Posts
You don't need to put any fluid in the torque converter. The trans will fill it when you start the engine.
I was always told you should put a few qaurts in the converter otherwise you can burn it up when you start it. Ive always put 2 or 3 in and never had any problems

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Starter is bolted to trans as well so make sure you remove starter before trying to pull trans.
No you don't, I've pulled & installed a few of them (IDI, OBS, 4R100) & never had the starter give me any issue.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Well for a guy who clearly stated he hasn't done a ford trans before it is good insurance to pull the starter to avoid cracking the bell housing. Once you crack the bell your screwed so I would recommend pulling the starter from the trans. Ah I think I know what you are saying. You are right in that you don't have to pull it from the truck as far as wiring goes but you had better unbolt it from the trans.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Yep your right. I have no idea what I was thinking when I said it was bolted to the trans. I just finished working on a dodge truck where the starter is bolted to the trans. I guess that was stuck in my head.:doh:

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Don't feel too bad, we all step on our weiner time to time. :doh:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Don't touch the starter.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,101 Posts
I was always told you should put a few qaurts in the converter otherwise you can burn it up when you start it. Ive always put 2 or 3 in and never had any problems
It won't hurt it to put some fluid in, it's just not necessary.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ok guys i got a suncoast tranny and converter i plan on installing my self this is not my first tranny install but my first ford tranny install so can yall give me some pointers
-how many quarts go in the empty tranny
-how many quarts go in the TQ converter
-whats the easyiest way to do it and any info would help
We actually get people who ask for help with things they buy elsewhere.:confused:

If you don't find the answer here...you could ask Suncoast since they sold it. :D

Best wishes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts