Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone buys or builds trailer to suit their own needs, so there is no silver bullet, but come trailer buying time there are some things to think about that might buy you a few MPG with your trailer.

Maybe you need a rolling Trump Tower, but maybe not. Google "Bowlus Road Chief" The Road Chief was the daddy of the Airstream trailer. It is a fairly primitive and extreme example of a very aerodynamic RV.

One thing that offends me are otherwise slick trailers (Airstreams and Hi-Los) that have that cancerous tumor on top. The AC unit. I know perfectly well there are split units that do not require a goiter on top of the trailer. I hear the song about the air above a RV being so turbulent that the AC unit doesn't matter. I call BS on that one.

Now if you only move your RV a couple times, maybe it isn't worth the effort, but some people move these things around a lot and get hammered at the fuel pump as a result.

All the same stuff that holds true of trucks holds true of trailers.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Ya, my trailer has a ton of stuff on the roof and I'm sure it has a HUGE impact on fuel economy. I've often thought about building a faring to direct the air over the top of the "forest" on the roof. I don't move the thing but 4-5 times a year and being a glass side, rubber top mounting the faring would be fairly difficult to do correctly.
Unfortunately for what I want to do there aren't many options.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, 69 you really don't move it enough to justify monkeying with it.

But do know that the next RV salesman that tells you: "The air is so disturbed up there that the AC unit doesn't matter." is lying through his teeth or is dumb as a box of rocks.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I'd agree with you. Although by the very nature of the trailer it's not going to be very aerodynamic, my trailer would be fairly streamlined if it wasn't for all the stuff hung out in the wind as it were.

I'm sure that a significant fuel savings could be realized on RV trailers if they were designed with some type of fairing, either hard or soft, that could be put in place to highway travel.

I know when I was working in the trucking industry we made a few changes to the trailer and I test fitted a few trucks with aero mods. They proved effective enough to retrofit the entire fleet and we started ordering all the new trucks similarly equipped. Fairings and wings that actually are designed to work do make a difference. I think the actual MPG improvement was something like .523mpg, however at 5mpg over millions of miles per year it added up to a lot of money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts