Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for 5 205 75 14's for the enclosed trailer i have. What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Bias ply unless you want to be buying them often. I've found that the radials, at least here in this heat, will rot much faster that the bias ply.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Really depends on the type of driving you are doing...alot of highway I would do Radials...more in town (turning) miles run Bias Ply...done it this way for years on all my trailers in the Florida heat with no issues

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
What I've decided to do is run bias . One reason is when they blow they don't do as much damage to the trailer as the steel belts.

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the bias ply. Im looking @ putting new ties on the trailer for my pops as a surprise i just dont know crap about the trailer tires. What brand would be the best?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Carlisle makes a good bias. Do a google search for bias ply trailer tires and check them all out. My car trailer has all 4 orig tires (bias) and they are carlisle bias. I keep them covered at all times but they are 9 yrs old. That's proof enough for me to use them on every trailer I have. The only one that still has radials is the toyhauler. Reason being it weighs 12K+ loaded and is a 2 axle. It has 7500lb axles, with regroovable 14 ply goodyear commercials on it. 110psi. I haven't found any comparable bias. But I will. The Goodyears are $280 ea. Ouch!!!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I run light truck tires on my toy hauler with good luck. Have had no luck with goodyears or the top shelf ones that discount tire sells. The heat out here in AZ kills them in about 2 years but the last set of maxxas ligh trucks that I put on have lasted over 3 and still are in great shape. Good luck with your choice. Nothing sucks as bad as changing rubber on the side of the interstate

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I run light truck tires on my toy hauler with good luck. Have had no luck with goodyears or the top shelf ones that discount tire sells. The heat out here in AZ kills them in about 2 years but the last set of maxxas ligh trucks that I put on have lasted over 3 and still are in great shape. Good luck with your choice. Nothing sucks as bad as changing rubber on the side of the interstate
How much does your trailer weigh? My trailer calls for load range G. The only thing worse than changing on the side of the road is the price to be paid to repair all the damage done by the steel belts on a travel trailer or toyhauler. My 6.5x12 trailer blew one last summer and wadded up the fender so bad I found a hack saw in my truck and had to cut the remains off to get the spare on. Then buy a new fender and spend a whole day grinding 100's of spotwelds off, welding the new fender on and prime and paint it. I'll stick with bias ply.

·
Registered
574 Posts
How much does your trailer weigh? My trailer calls for load range G. The only thing worse than changing on the side of the road is the price to be paid to repair all the damage done by the steel belts on a travel trailer or toyhauler.
Mine is right at 9.5k loaded. I went off of load rating on the tires vs. The weight. I hear you on the aftermath of a blowout. My Goodyear ( that came on the trailer new less then 6 months old) took out most the side.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Mine is right at 9.5k loaded. I went off of load rating on the tires vs. The weight. I hear you on the aftermath of a blowout. My Goodyear ( that came on the trailer new less then 6 months old) took out most the side.
I was following my neighbor, we were doing about 80 when he blew one and it looked as if a bomb had exploded. Did more damage than a new set of bias ply tires cost.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Would have been doing more if the 4wheelers would get out of the way. Most times that speed rating is a cya issue with the mfg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts