Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ditched all my incandescent lights for LED lights on my trailer. I checked every one of them when installed and left the shop. When I went in the shop today and hooked the trailer up to my truck (hitch and 7-pin) the brake/turn signals work but not the running lights. I walked back and shook the trailer and the running lights came on. I turned them off then back on and they came on. I worked on the trailer some more (not wiring) and then did it again and the runners wouldn't come on until I shook the trailer.

I'm assuming ground issue. I was going to run a wire from the trailer to the truck to ground it in addition to the hitch/ball ground. Sound about right?

·
Registered
278 Posts
We ditched my dads 7 pin rv for a 6 pin he has never been happier. His light are brighter than ever, I will be doing this soon.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Sounds like ground to me, that's always the biggest problem with the wiring on trailers. Move it around with the truck a little next time rather than shaking it. I'll bet they come back on.
Also, an option for running a good strong ground (rather than running one from the truck to trailer) just tap into the ground in the 7 way plug on the trailer. Then bolt the wire to the frame of the trailer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's next on the agenda because I'm getting ready to charge my trailer battery from the truck also and that needs a good ground. Thanks!

·
Banned
924 Posts
my trailer grounds through my hitch and has that same issue, make sure your receiver is nice and clean!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I buff out any rust in the hitch and put a light coat of spray paint will it still ground?

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
It should still ground fine. Remember these things come with a healthy coat of paint from the factory, along with the receiver that goes into the hitch.
While your doing that take some heavy grit sand paper or steel wire to the ball, and the inside of the coupler.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My carhauler came with a 7 pin with brakes. But the mfg did not use a wired grd from the plug. It was grounded through the ball. A lot of chrome balls won't grd. I put a grd wire from the plug on the trlr to the trlr frame and cured it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm probably going to do that also. As someone told me, you can't have too many grounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts