Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my truck and hauled a trailer for the first time this week. The truck does not have a brake controller but does have a 7 pin rv hook up. I have a dump trailer that takes a 6 pin, so i put the 7 to 6 pin adapter on. I went to haul the trailer and when it was plugged in 1 wheel was locked up, i unplugged the lights and it rolled fine. Is it grounding out and causing the brake to set?? Later i plugged it back in and it rolled fine, and intermintently would lock up. Any ideas?? Thanks Roger.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The wires in the plug could be crossed or the brake wire could have pulled loose in the plug and made contact on another terminal.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
or shorted trailer wiring

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
Too many possibilities your just going to have to trace all the wires.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys.... i will look at all the wires. I am going to take it later this week and get a brake controller put in, and i will rack there brain as well.

Not so sure i understand about the pins Vader. Could you explain more please....

Thanks alot guys, Roger.

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
It can be a few things. If you have a 6 pin trailer plug and using a adapter the adapter could be wired different and applying power to the brakes via the battery charge wire. We used to have one adapter that did and another that didnt. OR your trailer isn't wired the same as the truck.
If the adapter is the problem it is very easy to take it apart and swap the crossed wires.

·
Old guy from the old days
263 Posts
Six pin round comes in two wiring configuration, one I have heard called RV and one I have heard called commercial. I have 6 pin round commercial on mine and hauled a trailer wired 6 pin RV. The circuit on the trailer that went to the brakes was attached to a circuit on my 6 pin commercial that was always hot so when I plugged it in the brakes locked up. All this to say another vote for the wrong adapter.

·
If in doubt, tach it out
287 Posts
You probably have to reverse the polarity of the adapter. Open it up and all but two wires should soldered. Take the to screws out and switch the wires around. Had the same thing happen to me. If you put a brake controller in you shouldnt have to change them around.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot for the info guys. I am going to get a brake controller installer next week. I will let you guys know what happens after that. Thanks alot, Roger.

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
Thanks alot for the info guys. I am going to get a brake controller installer next week. I will let you guys know what happens after that. Thanks alot, Roger.
Brake controller installed or not, will not effect the problem you have. You need to figure out what is causing your trailer brakes to be energized in the first place. The wrong 6 to 7 pin adapter would be the very first thing I would look into

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Its a simple case of the wrong adapter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts