Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 f 350 DRW 6.0 with factory trailer brake controller.
I got a "trailer fault" code on the dash.
The trailer is plugged in, I have checked the connection, trailer side is new. The connection slides in smoothly and firmly no apparent problems with the connection.
I get no faults when I plug in the trailer, I can drive it apply the brakes, use the directional lights, with no faults or problems. All lights, brake/directional lights work good.
I turn on the headlights/running lights I get the fault code (trailer fault) on the dash, but all running lights/tail lights work fine. Everything works as it should. The brakes work. The battery on the "breakaway" says "charging". This does not change when I turn on the lights.
Is there a list of faults for the Trailer brake controller, some guide lines on what to check for each different code.
I have read on different forums, guys have fault codes for module, brakes, directional lights, but I find no information on just a "trailer fault"
Any ideas on what the problem could be and where to start looking?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Start with cleaning the truck side plug out real good and use a dielectric grease on it. Double check any new wires on the trailer side, just to be sure there are no bare spots and everything is connected in the right spot and tight.
These are free to do, just do those and see if it clears up. I was getting the code with my tt and it was just dirt and grime. I believe that the trailer fault code is generated by the brakes (not 100%) that is what I'd double check.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive checked the connection on each side truck/trailer both look clean and good, no corrosion of any kind.
Right now I am checking my grounds and the wiring for the running lights... it seems logical that the problem could be with the running light circuit, since the "trailer fault" light on dash, shows it self when I turn the light switch to the on positions.
Is it possible;
to have a bad/weak ground and the running lights on the trailer function as they should, bright/normal, and still set the fault light off on the truck?
Is it possible;
to have a marginal connection with in the running light circuit, where the all the lights function bright normal. and still set the fault light off in the truck?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts