Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Been wanting to do some traction bars for awhile now. Well ive been searching around for heim joints and they're $50+. So I went to a local tractor store. Picked up these and i couldnt believe it, 21.00 a piece! So i grabbed them. Plan is to cut them in half and add a few feet of pipe to them. The ends arent tapped for a grease fitting but oh well. Maybe i'll tap it myself. But what im looking for is pictures of the axle mount and frame mounts...Anyone have some pics?
Here's the bars:

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is exactly what I have been using for about 2 years now, and no issues. The Tractor Supply near me had different lengths and I got one that is perfect without having to add any pipe. For what it does, it works great and my wallet was very happy!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Very glad to hear that. Ive had a ton of people doubting me...But oh well

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like the idea! but I would worry about the joints wearing and clunking/making noise while driving since the axle is constantly moving

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
I like the idea! but I would worry about the joints wearing and clunking/making noise while driving since the axle is constantly moving

Thats why you don't get solid mounts.

If you want to go the cheap route then do the tractor supply heims. They will wear, they will be stiff, and they will clunk and squeak.

If you want a quiet and smooth operation go with Ballistic bushings and heims but, it won't be cheap.

Another option is to just buy OUO traction bars. Best money can buy.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If they make noise i'll just weld a piece of tube across it and throw bushings in like the trac bar on the Dana 60's

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
I also have the axle mounts from Ballistic....they haven't given me any issues for two seasons on my pulling truck

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you ordered the axle tabs, did you have to grind the half moon where it meets the axle?

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
Nope they were a perfect fit....for my Sterling 10.25" axle I ordered 3.5" lower axle link brackets with 0 degree offset, 2.63" mounting width, and 9/16" bolt hole. I actually still have my whole order summary if you want to take a look at it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that would be great! thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
wouldnt u want the y type trac bars with a shackle and mounts on both the top and bottom of the axle? shackle being on the frame of course i feel like the single one wont let the axle move at all?? especially with heims

·
Registered
248 Posts
wouldnt u want the y type trac bars with a shackle and mounts on both the top and bottom of the axle? shackle being on the frame of course i feel like the single one wont let the axle move at all?? especially with heims
I have 8" rear springs, and seems to work great in my truck...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
The heim joints are ball heims so they allow flexing if you put them on the axle side and not at the frame end of the bar.

·
Registered
22 Posts
im saying the axle moves forward and backward as it goes through suspension travel there for the slip yoke in the drive shaft so if you solid mount your trac bars wouldnt they bind in normal axle travel?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts