Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I have a question regarding the (new to me) truck in my signature.

I have noticed since I got it a month or so ago that when accelerating in any gear/road speed that the engine pulls from idle to 1800"ish" RPM effortlessly, it only takes probably 10-15% throttle to accelerate up to speed when in this RPM range, as soon as it hits 1800, it's like a wall. It takes substantially more throttle application to rev past this. If I wait and shift/want to shift at any RPM higher than 1800 I'm probably using 35%+ throttle. I can hear the engine/injectors work a harder (get louder), but the engine RPM doesn't change much until you get to/past that 35%'ish throttle. If I stomp on it/full throttle, it seems to make decent power, it'll spin in 2nd (3rd of 6) and has what I assume is normal power for a 7.3 (although does feel a bit sluggish on the highway, in overdrive/6th). A friend following me says the truck smokes ever-so-slightly (a bit white) when I'm revving past that 1800 mark, regardless of if I'm accelerating hard or just casually accelerating at a higher RPM shift. I can see a bit of a cloud of smoke at night in car's headlights if I get on it.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem? Is this a normal characteristic of 7.3L (I hope not)?

I have searched and checked out THIS thread, but I'm still unsure.

Thanks guys!

EDIT - Not sure if this means anything, but I changed my oil 1300 miles ago (Shell Rotella) and it's still super clean. Engine starts like new, and I'm pleased with the fuel mileage. Has no problems towing or anything.

·
Road Hammer
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts