Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know much about this? I took the stocker wheels off a couple weeks ago and put the BMF's on. Ford OEM sensors are installed in the wheels. For 2010 these are NOT the band type strapped to the rim. They are screwed onto the end of the valve stem.

On the first truck I just drove it, and it seemed to learn itself. I got the light for a little bit but then restarted truck and it went out and stayed out the whole time I had it.

This one, it came on a few days after putting the wheels on and said "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" then after while the truck will beep and say "Tire Pressure Monitor Fault" and the yellow light is on.

I tried to do the re-learn according to the owners manual and it won't pick up the left front that it says to start with. I took it into the stealer on Tuesday and they couldn't get it to train either. I took the front wheels off today and swapped side to side, then drove the truck that apparently "wakes" them up then tried the relearn again and it still won't pick up the left front.

I find it hard to believe that I have 2 bad sensors. Is there anything else I can check or reset on the truck? Dealer doesn't seem to have a clue how to fix it either.

Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also.. Does the spare tire have a sensor in it as well? Just occured to me that I removed the spare so maybe that's what is triggering it?

·
Registered
581 Posts
With the wording in the manual, I would say no but for some reason mine did this TPM fault or whatever when the tires were low. I aired them up to spec and it wouldn't clear after the time mentioned. I thought I had a fault and finally aired the spare up to spec as well and it finally cleared.

·
Registered
23 Posts
if it says "Tire Pressure Monitor Fault" and it will not program a sensors bad, i have not heard of anyone swapping from a band to and valve stem sensor ?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tossed the spare in the bed of the truck... We will see if that makes any difference. I wish there was a way to find out which sensor is at fault, if any. The Ford TPMS is a little too crude if you ask me. I know on the GM's they tell you which tire is low, and what the pressure is in each tire if you scroll thru it's message center.

So what's it take to actually reset the system? Battery disconnect? Need to hook up to IDS?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else got any ideas on this? And as far as bands vs. valve stem sensor.. 2010 and newer has it on the valve stem. 2009 was the last for the band type.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Mine has the band style. i took my stock spare out and got another matched tire and swapped the sensors over. mine gets set off when the tires heat up then over night it will reset itself. or they reset themselves after 12 miles of driving if theres no other problems.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... so you are saying that the spare tire DOES have a sensor in it? That is another question that is yet to give me a solid answer. Because I had removed the spare when I put my exhaust on.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
I no the 08s and 09s do with the band sensors. Theres a good chance ur spare will have them. its a safety system and its required. so im going to say yea it does.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
Well then i change my answer from yes it does to a possible it might have it in the spare. i wish i could give u a straight answer on that topic.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took out my spare on my 08 to lose wieght and never had a lite on, make sure u have the proper pressure acording to the specs in the door jam 4 lbs of difference in air will set the lite off. I know sometimes the system needs to be reset by the dealer unpluging battery will not work,also are the sensors off the original wheels? If so there shouldnt be any reason they wouldnt work ,good luck!

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
A service MGR told me once that in order to reset the computer and RID ITSELF of STORED POWER you have to disconnect both batteries. then get in the truck turn everything on. a/c lights all switches, run the locks, windows up and down. this opens circuits for the stored power that holds codes. I have even done this on my big truck IT WORKS.

I have never seen a vehicle with just 4 sensors on it for the tires. the spare 1 is for in the eventof you need it, IE, flat on the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts