Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't the first time I've heard of an underlying electronic issue with Toyota's accelerator pedals. The co-founder of Apple has also raised this issue up before.

Toyota's sales chief says its response took - Feb. 23, 2010

Sounds like Toyota has more problems than what they are willing to admit to.

Toyota Motor U.S. sales chief Jim Lentz is expected to deny that the carmaker's electronic throttle control systems are the cause of any unintended acceleration problems when he testifies before the Committee.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I had a 96 Toyota T100 before my powerstroke, thing is full of problems. Nothing wrong with it that is life-threatening, but enough stuff to make it a pile. I will never own a second one...

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
Toyotas are no better than any other car manufacturer... They've just had it good with reputation. We'll see how long that lasts if this stuff keeps popping up.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
are there any toyota mechanics on here?, I am wondering if something prevents you from shifting to neutral, or shutting the engine off completely? Sounds to me like they have a problem, question is are they dealing with it correctly? In MN, a man has sat in jail for 3yrs now for hitting another vehicle with his and killing 3 in the other car,,,,,, he was driving a 96 toyota camry and says the brakes didn't work and he couldn't slow down or shut the car off? They are taking another look at his case and he may be cleared of the manslaughter charges.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
are there any toyota mechanics on here?, I am wondering if something prevents you from shifting to neutral, or shutting the engine off completely? Sounds to me like they have a problem, question is are they dealing with it correctly? In MN, a man has sat in jail for 3yrs now for hitting another vehicle with his and killing 3 in the other car,,,,,, he was driving a 96 toyota camry and says the brakes didn't work and he couldn't slow down or shut the car off? They are taking another look at his case and he may be cleared of the manslaughter charges.
Considering everything is going full electronic I wouldn't be surprised if you can't shift the car into neutral while driving. Just like that lady with the Lexus said, she shifted into neutral and reverse, but the car kept accelerating. Maybe the car won't even let you turn the key off because it thinks your are flooring it. Scary thing is all car companies use similar systems, which brand is next to have these same issues? I have been against drive-by-wire, nothing wrong with a cable. Now that I think about it, what is stopping my 6.0 from having a runaway? The computer controls my throttle too...

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
yeah, thats why I'm asking and not assuming- I heard some of the lexus' have push button start- so will the key shut if off no matter what??? sounds to me they need to address these issues too---

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
yeah, thats why I'm asking and not assuming- I heard some of the lexus' have push button start- so will the key shut if off no matter what??? sounds to me they need to address these issues too---
Well in my Mom's Mercedes Benz you can't turn the key until the car is in park. I drove a Infinity G35 where you don't even need to take the keys out of your pocket! How would you shut that car down in a runaway?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I heard you have to hold the button down for 3 seconds while driving to shut it off.
three seconds is a loooong damn time at wot when you don't want wot:eek:

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Considering everything is going full electronic I wouldn't be surprised if you can't shift the car into neutral while driving. Just like that lady with the Lexus said, she shifted into neutral and reverse, but the car kept accelerating. Maybe the car won't even let you turn the key off because it thinks your are flooring it. Scary thing is all car companies use similar systems, which brand is next to have these same issues? I have been against drive-by-wire, nothing wrong with a cable. Now that I think about it, what is stopping my 6.0 from having a runaway? The computer controls my throttle too...
On your 6.0 you have an idle validation switch, as well as the throttle position sensor. If the IVS shows you're at idle, and the TPS does not, the computer sets the CEL and all you get is idle.

Same with the 7.3.

Toyota has finally started to get what's been coming to them, and IMO it's well deserved.

Dave

·
Aint going anywhere fast
3,258 Posts
I still like my Toyota....

Im in the process of de-chroming it.

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
It sucks for Toyota, it might help out th American companies for a bit, but they all have recalls, what do you expect when every manufacturer will do something that an engineer says it won't affect anything and will save them $.75 per unit. Well when you produce 100k units, that ends up being some money.

·
Aint going anywhere fast
3,258 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm well mine will definitely last longer than yours ever will and jsut to put it out there Toyotas resale value barely lost 1% throughout all of this crap. its already being fixed.

If being a RAtard gets me a better vehicle then so be it. I only buy Made in the USA products:)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
idk but it says you is
Hmmm well mine will definitely last longer than yours ever will and jsut to put it out there Toyotas resale value barely lost 1% throughout all of this crap. its already being fixed.

If being a RAtard gets me a better vehicle then so be it. I only buy Made in the USA products:)
Did you guys honestly just join to try to show off your underpowered toyotas that can't even come close to the capability of a Superduty powerstroke?

·
johnw
21 Posts
Did you guys honestly just join to try to show off your underpowered toyotas that can't even come close to the capability of a Superduty powerstroke?
now by capability of a superduty what are you considering and underpowered???? really?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts