Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every body I'm new here and I am thinking about running either a detroit locker or lock right in the rear of my f-250. Wondering if its ok to tow with either one of these auto lockers back there. I tow a 26 foot toy hauler to the dunes about once a month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man Is your true trac pretty smooth and quiet. No ratcheting or anything through the corners. How is it in the rain or snow.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have a Lock-Right in mine, and tow &/or haul my camper for the majority of miles on my truck. When I was interested in the Lock-Right I spoke to an applications engineer at Richmond Gear (who makes it). He tried to talk me out of it, saying that I probably wouldn't be happy with the harshness of the lock-up on the street. It's something you have to be aware of (like when you get on the throttle in the middle of a turn on wet pavement), but once you are used to it you tend to not notice it.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
388 Posts
I had a Detroit in the rear of a '90 Suburban I had, I towed with it many times and never had an issue....however the 350 gas burner didn't have quite the torque a 7.3 does, so??

But for reference it was a '90 Suburban with a 14 bolt full floater,4.56 gears and a detroit, with 35in tires, 700r4 trans. I noticed no more or less activity in the Detroit when towing than I did with daily driving, yes there was some noise or chirping on tight turns, but that was a daily occurrence without a trailer.

Justin

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
Thanks man Is your true trac pretty smooth and quiet. No ratcheting or anything through the corners. How is it in the rain or snow.
I've been running a TruTrac for about 60k miles now and I LOVE it. I've towed a handful of things and haven't had any issues. There isn't any ratcheting in corners on dry pavement and you won't even know its there unless you lose traction to one of your tires. Then it locks up nicely and gets power to the tire with traction. I'm 100% satisfied and wish the factory limited slip worked this well. Speaking of, the TruTrac doesn't have any clutches to wear out like a factory limited slip so it should last much, much longer.

·
'' fukin boosten''
439 Posts
i know this is kinda off subject but is there any thing that you can buy that is a lil more than the limited slip but not a true locker or not as extrem as tru track because some times when i haul its realy realy heavy weight with farm equipment n such and i would be afraid that i could break axels with such heavy weight on sharp turns or would the tru track be what im looking for

·
40 lug nuts
3,433 Posts
i know this is kinda off subject but is there any thing that you can buy that is a lil more than the limited slip but not a true locker or not as extrem as tru track because some times when i haul its realy realy heavy weight with farm equipment n such and i would be afraid that i could break axels with such heavy weight on sharp turns or would the tru track be what im looking for

Yes, the TruTrac would be what you're looking for. Its not as extreme as a Detriot Locker but much better than the factory limited slip. It has great road manners and you won't be chirping tires through turns because the dang thing won't unlock.

·
Registered
186 Posts
An E-Locker or an ARB would be a good choice for you as the benifits of an open diff are retained when they are turned off but lock up when you turn them on.

·
'' fukin boosten''
439 Posts
ok thanks guys ill have to look into these both would be much beter than limited slip

1 - 13 of 13 Posts