Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Spartan tuner installed yesterday and have been running around with the 250 tune. I've done some light towing 7-8000 pounds. I've been monitoring exhaust and boost and they seem to be in check. Tomorrow I plan on towing 20,000 pounds of hay and i need to know if it's O.K. to keep this tune. If I do, what should I be monitoring? What is the max boost end EGT that are safe? Thank You

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Theres a few others on here that have and havent run into any problems. Just watch your egt's, heat is killin these 6.4s

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was towing today, I never saw more than 900 for the EGT's. I know I can make the clutch slip if I stab the throttle in fifth or sixth gear so this may be the limiting factor for now.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
your clutch will limit your power esspecially towing.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
qcfarmer u should be alright with the temps. just watch them. i pulled 20k with mine on the 250. the clutch will slip a lot try not to cook it. besides that just keep and eye on the boost i maxed out at 56 pulling 15% grade downshifted once to keep the rpms up and it was good. the max egt i saw was 1150 on that hill. i got 14.4 mpg towing too. hope this helps.

get a south bend dual disc and u wont have any problems then .i did and loving every day with it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
qcfarmer u should be alright with the temps. just watch them. i pulled 20k with mine on the 250. the clutch will slip a lot try not to cook it. besides that just keep and eye on the boost i maxed out at 56 pulling 15% grade downshifted once to keep the rpms up and it was good. the max egt i saw was 1150 on that hill. i got 14.4 mpg towing too. hope this helps.

get a south bend dual disc and u wont have any problems then .i did and loving every day with it.
Just the person I hoped would respond because of my transmission. I haven't been beating on it yet so I haven't seen over 40 psi of boost but BP gets over 40 regularly. My brother-in-law just got a south bend DD in his 6.0 and he loves it also. I have to try to make it till at least next winter before I can get a clutch. That means this clutch will have to last all summer pulling loads of hay and cattle and 4-5 hooks on the sled at various events.

Thats why I didn't get the bigger tunes yet...

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
i made mine last over two yrs u can definetly do it. if u want to take it easy on it run the 210 its just as good and easier on the clutch. im pretty sure tho as long as u take it easy and run the gears out u will have no problems and if want to get in it to pass someone roll into it easy and she will pull ya no problems.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have to haul the load very far, just from one farm to the other (about 10 miles with only one stop) so I'll leave it in the 250 and get a feel for it. Thanks for the help.

·
<--Under the Knife Again
1,400 Posts
o ok thats not far. u will be fine then. i ran the 250 clear cross pa to ohio with no problems 310 miles one way. i got the 3850 dual disc defiently worth the money i spent and hrs put in.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Towed the load just fine (I'll put some pics up soon). EGT's never went over 1000. I stayed under 50 mph the entire time and took my time accelerating. The trip took a bit longer because I made a detour to some scales (I grossed over 36,000lbs) but all in all it went great. I have since put it back to the 210 tune just because I do tow alot (hooked to the cattle trailer right now) and I want to be safe. For sure it's not as fun when it's unhooked but it only takes 10-15 min to put the 250 tune back in if I really need it...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Man I have pulled my race truck on a tandem car hauler my guess around 7k total load with the 275 tune. Did nothing higher than say 1100 on the EGTS. I usually monitor on cruise control going uphill. That tune has aggressive tranny tuning. Is it close to the same tranny tuning as the 210 heavy?

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
Man I have pulled my race truck on a tandem car hauler my guess around 7k total load with the 275 tune. Did nothing higher than say 1100 on the EGTS. I usually monitor on cruise control going uphill. That tune has aggressive tranny tuning. Is it close to the same tranny tuning as the 210 heavy?

are you referring to the 250, right? if so the tranny shifting is not the same from the 210TP compared to the 250

1 - 15 of 15 Posts