Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna buy a 20 foot enclosed cargo trailer and im curious as to what hitch im gonna need. I don't need a weight distribution hitch because i have airbags but im wondering how apt to sway this kind of trailer is. I can get a sway adapter to put around the ball mount but i don't know if i even need to be worried about sway. Ill have it darn near the GTW which is 7000lbs. Has anyone had a sway problem while pulling one of these with an OBS F350?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I tow a 30' Travel Trailer with mine. I gross out about 8400 lbs loaded for vacation with it. I do have a weight distribution hitch, just because I needed it when I had an F 150. I don't have sway control on it, and have had no issues with sway. She tows like a dream too.

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
You shouldn't need anti-sway control on a 7000# trailer with a F-350

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Look at the hitch weight rating, more than likely it is only rated for 5k and 500lb tongue weight. This is one of my biggest gripes with these trucks, rated to tow up to ______lbs and only have a hitch rated for 5k, WTF.

Only thing you can do to increase the hitch carrying capacity is to replace it (with a Class 5) or get a "load leveler". These will double the capacity if you get the 10k bars with it, and take some squat out of the rear end as well.

Ohh and I would skip the sway controller, should not be an issue with that size of trailer. Just be sure to have proper weight distribution and you will be fine.

·
"Miss me yet" George Bush
317 Posts
I would gues you should be fine, you may have to load it a few times to get it correct. Some trailers just don't tow well and you may still want a distribution hitch, it has a lot to do with the axle placement and the alignment. I have had two trailers that were the suspension was hung wrong on and they both towed like crap, the latest was a 2006 haulmark 20' the left side hangers were 1.25" back too far, so be cautios of that.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I run weight distribution bars and a anti sawy bar. The weight distribution bars make the trailer and truck become one. You ever hit a bump and the trailer jerk you back and forth? get the bars and that goes way. I have a DRW and still got a anti sway bar, its 50 bucks and it just give me peace of mind. i pull a 15,00lbs trailer though and if i hit crosswinds down I40 i want to feel confident.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hey Jomax, whats up? I know about the wind. My toyhauler is 13' high and before the dually conv it was a handfull in a crosswind.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tow a 20' enclosed trailer with my OBS F250. Its rock solid with no issues at all. Just a standard receiver hitch. No weight distribution stuff. I don't know what sway bars are, so I assume I haven't got any unless they are stock on my truck.

IIRC the receiver hitch on my truck is class V - its very sturdy.

My trailer is a little lighter. Just over 2k lbs empty. Most of the time I've probably got 1.5-2k lbs in it. Though I did move a few times and crammed as much houshould stuff (which for me is largely tools and books) as I could possibly fit. I don't know what the weight was, but it was much heavier than when I pack it with 6 motorcycles so I'm guessing 4k lbs+ in the trailer for a total of 6-7k trailer weight. The truck still handled that just fine with no sway or anything else even slightly disconcerting. The IDI did slow down a little on bigger hills, but that's to be expected. With the heavier springs you've got plus air bags you'll hardly notice the trailer is there unless there's something wacky with the geometry.

In this pic there's about 650lbs of motorcycle in the bed and probably another 200lbs of tools and other stuff. The trailer itself is totally packed tight as this was my move. Towed from DC to Boston with nary a wobble or concern other than the back of the truck squashed down just a tiny bit more than might be ideal, but to be expected with the weight (and the trailer happened to be loaded with the heavy stuff to the front). Other than looks you'd never know it wasn't balanced driving it though.

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Note, I have stock tires, big mud tires would probably make things worse. Also, I've not tried other enclosed trailers of similar size so don't know if mine pulls better than most. I have pulled it for a differnet move, fairly heavily loaded with an '89 toyota pickup and it worked surprisingly well. Nothing like as nice as with the F250, but it wasn't nearly as scary as it should have been given the size of that little truck.

I've also towed a big steel flatbed trailer with a smallish diesel front loader/tractor on it. Guessing the tractor was in the 4k lbs range and trailer was probably 2-3k lbs. No troubles there at all either.

Make sure your trailer brakes work properly and enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts