Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Umm ok
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I purchased my '00 F350 a few months ago and it has a 8" pro-comp lift on it. I purchased it with the intentions of towing my 24' car trailer that I'm converting over to a toy hauler. Aprpoximately weight of the trailer will be 8k loaded up with atv's, etc (estimating high on purpose).

This brings me to a few questions:

1. Am I going to have any issues towing this trailer? It's a bumper type hitch setup.

2. I know I'll need to get a drop hitch and was looking at various ones. Looked at the anderson and the B&W, etc. Any recommendations or personal experience?

3. Will my truck have any issues up steep grades? Some places I will drag the trailer have very steep grades.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Ford With Out Tax Money
334 Posts
do you have big tires? if you have not re-geared then yes it will be hard.
it will tow different with the lift, try it out before you leave to get it right.
a weight distribution hitch would be a good idea.
i like B&W

·
Umm ok
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have big tires? if you have not re-geared then yes it will be hard.
it will tow different with the lift, try it out before you leave to get it right.
a weight distribution hitch would be a good idea.
i like B&W
Truck now has 295/75/18 tires.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Ford With Out Tax Money
334 Posts
if your stock tires are 265-75-16 = 31.64" 295-75-18= 35.42 that is 10.68% more tire.
it will pull your rpms down and will make it down shift a lot and have less power, speed, mpg.
and enclosed trailer is an wind sail.

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
For what it's worth... I pulled my 24' pace enclosed car trailer when I had a 6" lift and 35's on my truck. It kicked it in the pants pretty good, from when the truck was stock, I did full 4" mbrp turbo back, 6637 intake and a 6 pos chip withgearhead tunes on it, and it was back to rockin and rolling. It wouldn't downshift unless I hit a heck of a bill and was heavy enough. I could roll down the road at 75 with the cruise on, and over rolling hills it wouldn't downshift, infact, you'd feel it accelerate in overdrive whenthe ECM sensed a opposing strain on the motor.

Blown 284, I'm assuming you're hauling a mustang, you'll have no problems, no need to re-gear at all. I grossed over 20k combined with the lift and stock 3.73's and no problems, 250k miles and the rear end fluid was still clean as could be expected given the mileage.

·
Umm ok
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what it's worth... I pulled my 24' pace enclosed car trailer when I had a 6" lift and 35's on my truck. It kicked it in the pants pretty good, from when the truck was stock, I did full 4" mbrp turbo back, 6637 intake and a 6 pos chip withgearhead tunes on it, and it was back to rockin and rolling. It wouldn't downshift unless I hit a heck of a bill and was heavy enough. I could roll down the road at 75 with the cruise on, and over rolling hills it wouldn't downshift, infact, you'd feel it accelerate in overdrive whenthe ECM sensed a opposing strain on the motor.

Blown 284, I'm assuming you're hauling a mustang, you'll have no problems, no need to re-gear at all. I grossed over 20k combined with the lift and stock 3.73's and no problems, 250k miles and the rear end fluid was still clean as could be expected given the mileage.
Not towing a mustang at all. I have an enclosed car trailer that I'm converting to a toy hauler for my atv's. The trailer alone unladen weight is about 5600 and I figure approx 1500lb for atvs. So approx 8k towing weight.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Umm ok
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LIFT IS OFF THE TRUCK NOW and I'm back to stock height + leveling kit. Running 35" tires. :) Looking forward to towing now.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
it still won't tow as good as stock on steep grades. My friend has 35's and when towing he swaps them for an extra set he has with 31.5's. Makes a big diff. But we tow on 6-7% long grades in temps over 100*. Good luck

·
Umm ok
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it still won't tow as good as stock on steep grades. My friend has 35's and when towing he swaps them for an extra set he has with 31.5's. Makes a big diff. But we tow on 6-7% long grades in temps over 100*. Good luck
thanks for the heads up. I plan to put a 6.0 trans cooler on it to help keep it nice and cool. I also will take it easy up and down the steep grades and when I'm towing the ATV's/Toyhauler I'm not in a huge rush LOL

BTW, it doesn't get anywhere near the temps you experience. Well.... I guess sometimes it does but nothing like desert type heat here. (fingers crossed!).

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I put a trucool 40K gvw cooler in line with my oem.

Put a BTS or JW valve body on the trans also. Best money you will spend.

I really like the decell tune in my dptuner. Helps a LOT decending 7 miles of 6%.

Good luck.

·
Umm ok
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put a trucool 40K gvw cooler in line with my oem.

Put a BTS or JW valve body on the trans also. Best money you will spend.

I really like the decell tune in my dptuner. Helps a LOT decending 7 miles of 6%.

Good luck.
Thank you for those suggestions I'll keep them in mind. By the looks of your avatar looks like you're carrying quite a load.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Toyhauler=10,300# dry, a little over 13,000# with the Prowler, water and junk. Gross a little over 21,000 truck & all.

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
Im on 4" and 35's and stock 3.73's and mine pulls like a champ for the most part, just got done pulling a boat and accessories this weekend in about 95* heat and had no problems at all. The boat and trailer plus fuel, coolers, etc. was approx.6500-7000 lbs. and I threw down 16 mpgs hand calculated at about 70 mph, course an exhaust and intake plus the six speed probably set us apart but you ought to be ok with your set up. I wish I had guages to track egt's, but thats in the future. and im running a B&W Hide-a-hitch dual ball with a 7 inch drop and I love it a friend of mine did a truck pull with an identical hitch and had no problems, and that was a 30,000+ sled. course id be wary of your weight over a steep tall grade with your current set up, as I am with mine.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Im on 4" and 35's and stock 3.73's and mine pulls like a champ for the most part, just got done pulling a boat and accessories this weekend in about 95* heat and had no problems at all. The boat and trailer plus fuel, coolers, etc. was approx.6500-7000 lbs. and I threw down 16 mpgs hand calculated at about 70 mph, course an exhaust and intake plus the six speed probably set us apart but you ought to be ok with your set up. I wish I had guages to track egt's, but thats in the future. and im running a B&W Hide-a-hitch dual ball with a 7 inch drop and I love it a friend of mine did a truck pull with an identical hitch and had no problems, and that was a 30,000+ sled. course id be wary of your weight over a steep tall grade with your current set up, as I am with mine.
Not knockin your truck but you must have been in flatland. Even so that's pretty good.

·
Respect my awesomeness
262 Posts
I have 4.56 gears. I will never see 16 towing. I got 15 with the single car trailer on flat ground @62 mph. I am only expecting 10 or 11 with the wedge loaded out to 18K.

I also vote for the tru cool max. I bought the same cooler as tbolt with the external bypass. I also vote for the weight distribution hitch. I use one with my single car trailer the rule of thumb is

if the towed vehicle(s) weighs more than 1/2 the towing vehicle then you need a WD hitch....... I would also consider converting that trailer to a 2 5/16 hitch if it isn't already.

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
Not knockin your truck but you must have been in flatland. Even so that's pretty good.
Yeah it was dead flat all the way to the lake and back, and I was impressed, not sure if the boat made it more aerodynamic or if the diesel kleen I put in made a difference but I filled up, went to the lake and filled up when I got back so its true milage.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I also vote for the weight distribution hitch. I use one with my single car trailer the rule of thumb is

if the towed vehicle(s) weighs more than 1/2 the towing vehicle then you need a WD hitch....... I would also consider converting that trailer to a 2 5/16 hitch if it isn't already.
Good god, that is not the rule of thumb. You need to look at the receiver sticker where it requires a WDH at a very low trailer weight. You can also check your ball and the hitch on the trailer to be sure that they are rated for the trailer weight but I have never seen a ball smaller than 2-5/16 on anything substantial.

Wow. I recently stopped using a WDH on my equipment trailer. Instead I replaced the receiver with one rated for the load without needing a WDH.

·
Respect my awesomeness
262 Posts
I tow for a living...... every thing from tractor trailer to RVs. That is the rule of thumb taught to me for determining if I am going to drag out the bars.... FWI..... I have a 14K receiver and 10K and 14K WD hitches that came off my last pick up...... 8000 pounds I would prolly use a WDH. Its not just a matter of what the hitch can handle, it also takes some of the load off the rear axle and puts it on the front. so you are not dragging your ass and bottoming out on every bump...... I would not use one if I was using my IH 9900 to pull tag trailer.....

BTW ...... I have an 8000lb 2" ball somewhere. at 8000 lbs I would still want a 2 5/16"

to the OP ..... you have a srw pick up....... I would use the WDH.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
About 95% of the trailers I see wheels up are tongue pulls. I vote for a goose neck or 5er. Lots of weight + tongue pull is an accident looking for a place with a single wheel truck. A wdh is in order as well as air bags for safety. They both will take out the bounce and bottoming out. Even with my 5er I was uncomfortable with a single wheel so I converted to drw.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts