Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Got Whistle?
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, searched the hell out of this. Im just pulling a 10ft trailer with two sleds on it from time to time, 2500lbs at best, my street tune is giving me the wrench, do you think ill have any issues pulling this little weight in xtreme street ?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It won't hurt with less the 5k behind you just keep your foot outta of it

·
Got Whistle?
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured if I went about it moderately it would be fine. better safe than sorry thanks

·
Got Whistle?
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doesn't throw a code, at least not one the SCT can pickup

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine did that, but i was pulling a 11,000lb 5th wheel. On flat ground it was fine, but i went up through the mountains and the wrench light came on. Sct showed nothing when i scanned but, my buddy scanned it and said it had a over boost code. I only tried it once though. I just keep it on the tow tune now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why would you want to tow in that hot of a tune anyway? Not like you need to be racing or running 90mph pulling a trailer.

·
Got Whistle?
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no but its not like I can just flip a knob to change tunes. mileage is too crappy in the lower tunes to keep it there all winter

·
Registered
177 Posts
How much better mileage do you get on the bigger tunes DD? I only get 1-1.5mpg better with Hot street than my tow tune. To me its not worth the hassle of switching from a higher tune to lower when my wife has to use my truck at times to tow. Yep, I'm one of the few who let the better half drive there truck. She DD's a car for mileage and I DD a gas burner F150, so I let her use it at will when she needs a truck.

Think about this, if you loose 1 mpg and like me have a 25 gallon tank that's 25miles or roughly $6.12/tank. If I used the truck cross country making a living it would be one thing as the amount of miles I would put on it would be a lot higher. In my case I may put 15k miles/year on my truck which would be $116 a year more than if I run my hot tune year round. Cost doesn't justify it to me especially on top of the fact the tow tune has a much better chance of truck longevity IMO.

Your truck may be different and get much worse fuel mileage on lower tunes, no idea. I did use my street and hot street to tow at times and other than the boost and quick power surge on grades I really liked how easily the truck moved the weight with ease.

·
Got Whistle?
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never really looked at it like that, I haven't really used my tow tune other than actually towing on the highway and pulling maybe 10k for 1800km round trip i went from 12L/100km to 18-19L per 100. empty vs loaded so maybe its not a whole lot off. Lately I've only been using my truck for sledding and my jetta for running around so I'm better off to just throw it in tow to try at least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts