Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I think one or two of you follow my build thread and heard I'm picking up a new 5er Toy Hauler. The wife and I have decided to move out of our small rental home into a Toy hauler to save a ton of money and pay off a lot of debt in the process. This trailer will be parked 95% of the time, but we will be taking it on trips to the beach/desert/mountains etc. I was planning on getting a 2021 Vengeance 351a13, but the deal fell through and now I'm looking at a 2020 Grand Design Momentum 381m. Now this trailer is fahking heavy, dealer lists it at 14,700lbs empty and 2800lbs pin weight, with 20,000lbs GVWR. Real world weights from what I hear are 15,000 +/- 200lbs empty, and 3100lbs +/- 100lbs pin weight empty, and loaded it will be around 18-18.5k and 2900-3000lbs of pin weight (less pin weight because of the 2000lbs of weight behind the rear axle I will be adding)

So I want to hear from the guys towing heavy regularly with OBS's and 7.3 SD's. I've been towing at 20,000lbs~ for the last few years quite often, and am very comfortable with it, and never had a problem, even with power/stopping. I have done EXTENSIVE mods to this truck, to say the least, and there is only ONE number that I will exceed while towing this trailer, and that is my GVWR (at a disappointing 9200lbs). I am within my tire ratings (yes even with a SRW, I will have atleast 1000lbs of buffer), within my wheel ratings (again, atleast 1,500lbs of buffer), and within the actual axle ratings (not the BS on the door sticker, because that is just tire ratings for a 235/85R16E tire). Now even though I'm within the limits, I'm still contemplating converting to a DRW strictly for the extra footing/stability.

I will be as follows with fully loaded truck/trailer etc;
Truck: 10,600lbs +/- 200lbs (weight on the truck axles)
Pin Weight: 2900-3000 lbs
Trailer: 15,000-15,500lbs (weight on the trailer axles)
Combined: 25,000lbs +/- 500lbs

Let me know your guys' thoughts.

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
If i remember the duallies had a GCVWR OF 20K Im not sure of the GCVWR of the SRW trucks. I know the newer one ton dullies have a higher rating then that. Me personally having driving commercial over the road would not do that trailer on SRW. I know there are some out there who will do it anyways. But me personally would not do it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SRW and DRW from 95-04 all have the same GCVWR of 20k (with correct gearing).

·
PSN intsigator
6,830 Posts
To me the DRW is a no brainer, it is alot more stable, you'll know what i mean when a semi blows past you, and when taking turns

Reactions: Randy4614

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its decided, im converting to DRW, so I'm actively looking to find a 99-03 DRW Dana 80 axle. I'm also interested in injector upgrades, and I've always wanted to get a 238/80 injector from Rosewood, and recently I decided to go with a 205/30 hybrid since I didnt have studs or springs, but now I'm debating on a 160/30 because of the extreme weight. Does anybody think there is a better option in size? (Ie 160/80 or 180/30 etc)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ive got the 238 hybrids from Rosewood and i love mine, talk about waking the 'ol truck up

Whats your transmission? I didnt see you mentioning it, that'll play some with final thoughts for your build.

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
238s would be cool if they were manageable with a heavy load.

I have the Diesel Site legendary trans, so no worries there

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would think the tuning would make or break (so to speak) the injector choice. I.E. pick an injector then get a tow tune suited to that particular injector. I would think nozzle size would have a bigger effect on towing capability. But, I may be way off in right field.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts