Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long start to this but bear with me.

2001 7.3 zf-6 manual. Rebuilt turbo with wicked wheel 2,cold air intake, epbv delete, bellowed up pipes, 4inch turbo back mbrp exhaust, hydra tuner with swamps tunes, 3.73 gears, 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires, 4wd, warn hub and tapered roller bearing conversion on dana 50. No check engine codes, no glaring issues. 147k miles on truck.

Overdrive is useless when towing my toyhauler, have to pull at 55-60mph in 5th running 2250-2400 rpm. Normal egts on flat ground around 850 to 950 (maxtow get gauge and sensor in drivers exhaust manifold) small grades I'm hitting 1100 degrees (3 percent grade) 6 percent grade im into 3rd trying to keep the egts below 1250 pulling at 40-45mph. 57psi fuel pressure. Running swamps heavy tow tune (over 14k) stock injectors. It just seems like it's running way to high. Engine temps never move. Is this normal, or am I missing something. All mods were done at around 125k two years ago.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How much boost are you making?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-14 pulling hills, 6-10psi flat ground while pulling. Sorry forgot to add that.

·
Project Shamu
2,576 Posts
3.73 gears and 35s aren't helping, that's for sure.

Boost number aren't very abnormal, especially since your at such low rpms due to tall gearing.

You sure you have no boost leaks or exhaust leaks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99 percent on no exhaust leaks. Have a laundry list of performance stuff I would like to add to have it pull better, new boots and a 6.0 intercooler swap are among the things on the list.

·
Project Shamu
2,576 Posts
Gearing is going to help you more than anything, get that thing into its power band.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gearing is on the list 4.10 or 4.30. Leaning towards the 4.30's to get me a little deeper than stock offset with 35's since it does more pulling than pleasure cruising.

·
Project Shamu
2,576 Posts
I'm doing the same, I have 4.10s and 35s, and its just not quite enough, I will be going 4.30s soon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts