Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was messing around today, and when going WOT, I swear the truck pulls harder in Tow/Haul mode. Not only is it completely spooled when I mash it, the transmission is already in the correct gear, and it just pulls and pulls, and pulls. No lag at all.

Also, IIRC, the torque converter is locked in all gears when in Tow/Haul mode, making it like X-Race, in a way? The shifting is also greatly improved while in Tow/Haul at WOT. Oh, and Tow/Haul had slightly cooler EGT's, just like it does when I'm towing (I've seen a 200° difference while towing in Tow/Haul versus no Tow/Haul)...

So, is this just me being stupid? Or am I onto something? I also tried it in stock tuning, and the truck pulled significantly harder.

Usually I don't have many good ideas, but when I'm onto something, it's usually good... :evil My last idea was that the Edge Insight did not read boost correctly, and after my thread, it is now widely known that the Edge Insight is inaccurate for reading boost numbers on most trucks.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
I'm not certain if the TC its locked in all gears but its locked above 40mph I know that for a fact. Maybe someone else will chime in on this

My trucks acts very similarly :evil

·
Registered
922 Posts
i need to remember this when i am runnin down the track next time esp when im racin my dodge buddy haha!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought the exact same thing

·
Caterpillar Tech.
117 Posts
Looks like i will have to try this and see...

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and it has an extra bonus!! LOL

It has the built in engine brake that will slow you down very quickly, and cool the EGT's when you let off the skinny pedal... So whether you're going down the track, or you're on the street and you see the Po-Po, it'll help you slow down!! LOL

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keeping this bumped up... I wanna hear from some of the pro's.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ok so I'm having a stupid moment. THe title says SRL tune but yet you speak of the Tow/Haul tune?? So are you saying your loving Matt's Tow tuner over the Street Race Light??? If so this is very interesting as I've run his SRL tune for almost three years now and have never loaded the Tow tune.......hmmmmm

SRL tune will def talk to ya and that bitch will pull hard but egt's climb very very fast......So if your getting a good pull and power with lesser egt's on Tow I'd be willing to listen.

·
WOOOOO!!!!!
1,655 Posts
Ok so I'm having a stupid moment. THe title says SRL tune but yet you speak of the Tow/Haul tune?? So are you saying your loving Matt's Tow tuner over the Street Race Light??? If so this is very interesting as I've run his SRL tune for almost three years now and have never loaded the Tow tune.......hmmmmm

SRL tune will def talk to ya and that bitch will pull hard but egt's climb very very fast......So if your getting a good pull and power with lesser egt's on Tow I'd be willing to listen.
He's asking if its better to run the SRL in Tow/Haul mode or not in Tow/Haul mode.

I've found with Erics tunes it doesn't make a difference as far as track times go with it. I've run his Xtreme Race in Tow/Haul and out of Tow/Haul at the track. No difference whatsoever in times.

·
Been there destroyed that
83 Posts
I just thougt it was common knowledge to run in tow/haul mode when racing. Ive always done it that way...... Even on gassers

·
Registered
756 Posts
I thought the converter locks at 48 mph? Or maybe that's just stock tuning.

And as for the Insight reading boost incorrectly, I don't see why it would. I do know however that when tuned the only way to get an accurate boost reading is with a separate gauge that doesn't go off the PCM. Stock tuning the Insight should read it fine.

·
Registered
878 Posts
He's asking if its better to run the SRL in Tow/Haul mode or not in Tow/Haul mode.

I've found with Erics tunes it doesn't make a difference as far as track times go with it. I've run his Xtreme Race in Tow/Haul and out of Tow/Haul at the track. No difference whatsoever in times.
:confused: 10-4!!

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

But the X-Race already has the converter locked in all gears... The SRL+ does not.

·
Registered
963 Posts
But the X-Race already has the converter locked in all gears... The SRL+ does not.
this is true. xtreme race locks tc in 2nd gear and SRL is all about pedal position when the tc locks but i still do not think it locks in until direct gear at wot. I may be wrong but i think im right.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I thought the converter locks at 48 mph? Or maybe that's just stock tuning.

And as for the Insight reading boost incorrectly, I don't see why it would. I do know however that when tuned the only way to get an accurate boost reading is with a separate gauge that doesn't go off the PCM. Stock tuning the Insight should read it fine.
With SRL the boost will read lower than reality on the factory boost gauge or anything from the OBDII port.

The tow/haul shift points are higher at part throttle with the SRL file. If you like it better great. It's hard to please everyone and for everybody that says they like keeping the rpms up higher all the time I have someone complain that they don't want it downshifting as easily so they can lug the #### out of their truck.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I love how it doesn't lug the #### out of my truck personally. I have ran tunes that will keep the torque converter locked for so long that the truck just pours out smoke and I have to hit the tow haul button to unlock it. I love the SRL tune. Need to get it updated soon though..

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
With SRL the boost will read lower than reality on the factory boost gauge or anything from the OBDII port.
This is something that has always bothered me about tuning. Why is it that we're still having to trick the PCM into other operating modes instead of doing a reprogram of the fueling tables and such? Why change sensor scaling instead of changing the commanded operating conditions? I understand this is pretty much how everyone does it, maybe it's a limitation on how SCT allows it in their software. From a programming perspective, it's kinda backwards though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
as far as the converter locked at 40mph or 48 which ever it is with tow haul versus a race tune locking it in second most of our tuned trucks should be doing over forty by the time you are well into second, so it is kinda the same thing. But one question doesnt the trans use fourth gear in tow mode? so wonder if that is the reason it feels like it keeps pullin and pullin

1 - 20 of 38 Posts