Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 yr old toshiba laptop runnning vista 64 is having screen problems. The screen will just go usually black, once it went white, and once it went blue. If I restart it is fine for a while but then it will do it again. Right now it is running an avg scan in safe mode and it hasnt done it. How do I fix this? Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have the same toshiba model A105, well had the same problem and had to get the screen replaced $120. You can test it off another monitor w/ cable. If that's any help.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
I have ths same problem on my toshiba. Mine is a satellite L355. But usually I can restart it and it wont do it for a while.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if its the screen. If I am watching video the sound will disappear as well. Also it seems to do it pretty quick while watching a video or playing a game. Reboot and its fine again. Ill borrow sa monitor and see what happens

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An external monitor does the same thing the laptop screen is doing. So now what?:shrug:

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Bad memory or its overheating.

Check for a bios update for it first since that can also cause that.

But more than likely its over heating. Make sure the side vents are not clogged with dust and make sure you have it on a firm flat surface when your using it. Sheets on a bed, a couch or other soft surfaces can cause a notebook machine to have cooling problems.

Also modern notebooks are designed to run at room temps under 80 degrees with 85 about tops for safety.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks crowz!

I dont think its overheating. It was overheating a month or so ago, and I finally took it apart and blew the dust out of it. But when it was overheating, it would shut down totally, and then not boot back up until it cooled down for a bit. The bottom of the laptop would be really warm, obviously, and its not when the screen shuts down now.

How do I know if its a memory problem? Could a virus or something cause this?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds more like a hardware issue than a software issue.... Im really not sure what you can do, I would just make sure to get a good recent copy of everything on there before it decides to die for good.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
I'm guessing it has a dedicated graphics card.might want to check there. If the system board overheats it shuts down completely. If a graphics card overheats, you have display issues. That's how it's been for me in the past.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Thanks crowz!

I dont think its overheating. It was overheating a month or so ago, and I finally took it apart and blew the dust out of it. But when it was overheating, it would shut down totally, and then not boot back up until it cooled down for a bit. The bottom of the laptop would be really warm, obviously, and its not when the screen shuts down now.

How do I know if its a memory problem? Could a virus or something cause this?
When you took it apart to clean it you may of pulled the video cable loose some. Might double check that. Ive seen that cause problems as the machine heats up it looses contact on that cable if its not seated well.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would that cause me to lose sound, too? I am wondering if it is indeed a memory problem. It happens pretty fast while watching a video or playing a game on facebook. Another guy in the biz I talked to over the phone is leaning towards an infection. Especially after I told him about the torrents I download.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Most infections will cause slowness but it will also work the processor harder making more heat.

Its hard to diag something like this long distance :D

Theres a program called memtest that will eliminate memory as the cause if you want to try it. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couldn't figure out the memtest, but I didn't try too long. But on a whim today, I used IE instead of firefox. Never crashed. Uninstalled firefox and reinstalled and so far so good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts