Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of not having tools so im starting to buy up what i can. question is im looking to buy a torque wrench and i want something good. it probably wont be used that often but i dont want junk, snap-on is out of the question i was looking at husky for $80 or would the duralast at autozone for 40 bucks just as good? open to sugestions.

as for Impacts does anyone know about the earthquake line at harbor freight. are they as strong as they say they are? thanks.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Husky is one of the few torque wrenches still lifetime warranty. I would only use an autozone torque in a dire emergency.

For impact, buy the cheap earthquake, and save up the money for a good Ingersol Rand.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats the price on a Ingersol Rand? the husky pro 650 seams pretty nice also for $127. have you ever delt with one of those?

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
For impact, buy the cheap earthquake, and save up the money for a good Ingersol Rand.
:whs:

You can pick up an IR classic for probably under $150 they are great, they will out drive a gun 2 times the cost

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
IR makes great air tools for the money. If you take care of it itll most likely last you forever.

For torque wrenches, maybe look for a used snapon or something like that. I learned the hardway you dont want to realize you got what you paid for skimping on the torque wrench. We have a matco guy that makes stellar deals, you might want to talk to him as well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
For a torque wrench I would figure out how many ft. lbs. you will need and go from there. I just recently got a Gearwrench torque wrench (same as Matco) that is good for 250 ft. lbs.

·
hit n miss
549 Posts
I bought a set of GearWrench torque wrenches and couldn't be happier.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
The company i work for calibrates torque wrenches once a year, I actually talked to the guy that does them just this week and he said actually that the Craftsman torque wrenches keep the correct torque the longest, they actually repair snap on pretty often

Food for thought, i bought a torque wrench back in january, cat tools (snap on wrench) used it on my 6.4 when i put it back together, so about 50 clicks was all, and its already not right, has to be fixed and recalibrated

·
nobody likes a quitter
447 Posts
The company i work for calibrates torque wrenches once a year, I actually talked to the guy that does them just this week and he said actually that the Craftsman torque wrenches keep the correct torque the longest, they actually repair snap on pretty often

Food for thought, i bought a torque wrench back in january, cat tools (snap on wrench) used it on my 6.4 when i put it back together, so about 50 clicks was all, and its already not right, has to be fixed and recalibrated
Do you turn it back to zero or just above everytime you put it away? I was told that can throw them off if you don't.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Do you turn it back to zero or just above everytime you put it away? I was told that can throw them off if you don't.
Yeah i always do, thats the number 1 killer of a torque wrench, so is turning the wrench past the audible "click"

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool thx for the input everyone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I love my digital Mac. Little pricey but you get what you pay for. I have an old craftsman that needs some recal. You pay the shipping and it's yours. As for impacts. Once again Mac.

·
ERJ Aircraft Mechanic
853 Posts
----i was looking at husky for $80 or would the duralast at autozone for 40 bucks just as good? open to sugestions.
I have a Husky which has worked good for me. I like it, it has a feel of quality to it.

At school there is a SnapOn torque wrench calibrater. I put my Husky torque wrench on it, and with the wrench set @100 ft/lbs, I was getting 95-96. IIRC, FAA standards is a torque wrench must be accurate within +3%.
So I'm a little outside that standard, but that wrench stays @ home. But as long as I know what the error is, I can compensate when setting it.

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
cool thx for the input everyone.
Here is the air gun I was talking about, it is on sale for $110 free shipping and a $15 mail in rebate, so $95 total after the rebate, can't beat that just like a sore peter. LOL

http://www.tooltopia.com/ingersoll-rand-231c.aspx

I have bought a quite a few tools from this place, they always show up un damaged and you really can't beat their prices

You should look at what they have for torque wrenches as well, I happened to get a really nice Klien one locally when a distributer went out of business. It was like a $350 wrench that I picked up for $150.00

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
i had the IR but my snapon will do 2x better than that IR. just my .02

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can buy factory refurb. (and sometimes new) Craftsman Digitork for that kind of money. I have both the 3/4 (75Lb) and 1/2 (250Lb) models. For occasional use, they're great, but be carefull not to bash the plastic handles into things or they can break (this was the bigest complaint I came accross).

I leave mine left at whatever the last setting was as long as it's <50% of the total wrench rating. Think I paid 75.00 for my 250lb (recertified factory refurb).

At low ft/lb settings, it's a little hard to realize you hit the mark (more by feel than by sound), but then again, I don't use them that much - about to be using the 3/4 a lot after I start chaning o-rings. :doh:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the biggest project i would do with a torque wrench would be to build a 7.3 or atleast headstuds, what the torque requirements on that?

·
Registered
88 Posts
the biggest project i would do with a torque wrench would be to build a 7.3 or atleast headstuds, what the torque requirements on that?

Straight from the guide...

CAUTION: Do not use too much engine oil on the threads of the cylinder head bolts, or damage to the threads and poor sealing can result. Do not use anti-seize compounds, grease or any other lubricants except engine oil on the cylinder head bolt threads because they will affect the true torque valve reading of the bolts.

Lightly lubricate the cylinder head retaining bolt threads and flanges with clean engine oil and install the cylinder head retaining bolts.
Tighten the bolts in the sequences shown in three stages.
Stage 1: Using the first sequence, tighten the bolts to 88 Nm (65 lb-ft).
Stage 2: Using the first sequence, tighten the bolts to 115 Nm (85 lb-ft).
Stage 3: Using the second sequence, tighten the bolts to 129 Nm (95 lb-ft).

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
I love psn, but sometimes i hate threads like this. last time a i read a thread like this everyone praised snap on, but in this thread it seems like its a toss up. When i ever buy a good(not a 25$ walmart) wrench im gonna get a nice digital once that has a wide range. From what i have read the key to a good wrench is taking good care of it and not over "torquing" it.

I still think im gonna get a used digital 3/8" snap on once i the money

1 - 20 of 26 Posts