Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started yesterday. When I'm driving normally the truck will buck. By that it feels and acts as if you were driving along and put the truck in neutral with out letting off the accelerator then dropping it back into gear. It will do that 2-3 times in succession then be fine for while. Its in the upper 80's here and the tranny is running about 170* I have no codes showing from my sct which is about what I expected. No flashing lights either. I haven't messed with the tuning since probably september of last year. It has been set to hybrid race. I did change it to a tow tune with the same dropping out of gear then to stock and it still is doing the same. My guess is a wiring issue but I kinda wanted some reassurance.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yep driving home across town and no 6th gear. Tranny temp went up to 180* fluid dosent smell burnt and is to the h level

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm guessing a solenoid issue? Are chaffed wires on the tranny a common issue? Ill look into no 2nd. It has acted weird today and was going home to mess with it when I noticed no 6th. 65 was screaming and it would not up shift. Guess dropping the pan it is my very near future. How many solenoids are there? I'm guessing they work similar to a 4l60 based on what doug said.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K disc. The batteries let it sit then took it for a test drive. Shifts 1-2 3-5 slips between 3-5 hitting pretty hard 2 or 3 times. It is not going into 6th. Also noticed a reverse shudder backing out of the driveway. so what do yall think?

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
You have no direct. Which is why you have a crappy reverse. If it has gotten to this point. Replacing the solenoid probably won't fix it. Out she comes.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K in your opinion doug is it the epc or lpc solenoid?? Think that us what its called or is it going to be further in? I'm by no means literate in trannys past the bolts on the outside. Tranny has been flawless till today

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
K in your opinion doug is it the epc or lpc solenoid?? Think that us what its called or is it going to be further in? I'm by no means literate in trannys past the bolts on the outside. Tranny has been flawless till today
EPC is line pressure for the ENTIRE transmission. There is a solenoid responsible for turning on Direct clutch. It's simply direct clutch solenoid. Its in the middle of the 3 solenoids in a row behind the row of 4 in front.

This is the same thing that happend to Mooring Product's torqshift. It was flawless until it let go at the track.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K thanks is it hard to replace it? I'm assuming from what I read I will need to drop the valve body. Is it real involved or simple? Suppost to get married in a week and a half. Would like to fix it so I can break it right but hopefully at a later date.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
You don't need to "drop" the valve body. You need to remove the pan. A clip and a connector. Remove old part and install new one. Then drive it. Have the same problem. And then explain that after reading on the internet that the solenoid would fix it. You now have to take the transmission out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Lubbockguy1979 I'm having the same problem. I replaced my direct clutch solenoid. It helped it but its still actin and shiftin funny. So i'm lookin at tranny parts now. How many miles do you have on your truck?

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm at 120k. Lol just got the head studs and gaskets to upgrade.... Dang it.... Was hoping on a few more miles. Now I'm at a segway.... Might replace the solonoid see if it shifts right and buy a 6.4. Found a 6.4 tranny for $1600 as well. I'm going to be poor till next year I think.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
I'm at 120k. Lol just got the head studs and gaskets to upgrade.... Dang it.... Was hoping on a few more miles. Now I'm at a segway.... Might replace the solonoid see if it shifts right and buy a 6.4. Found a 6.4 tranny for $1600 as well. I'm going to be poor till next year I think.
Better than being ON a segway...

·
Registered
140 Posts
:whs:

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know if there is a difference between a gas torqshift and a diesel one? I thought I read 08+ trannies are improved and will work on the 04 if I use either a 6.0 tc or a 08 flywheel and tc

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a difference between a gas torqshift and a diesel one? I thought I read 08+ trannies are improved and will work on the 04 if I use either a 6.0 tc or a 08 flywheel and tc
Yeah. They are different.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this is a more involved awnser to the question I asked.
The 6.0L and 6.8L trans are almost the same. The torque converters are different, and one of the one way clutches is different. The one way clutch in the gas engine has less lash because the clunk that is present in the diesel on the 2-3 shift was REALLY objectionable on the gas engine. Either clutch will work fine behind the diesel.

The 5.4L has a different converter, plus it has less clutch plates in some of the clutches.
It has been discussed but ill add that a 08+ 6.4 torqshift has been used in a 6.0 application with success. I'm posting this to hopefully help someone out in the same situation I'm in. I haven't seen or read of a 6.8 tranny being used but if I end up with one ill comment on how it does.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
this is a more involved awnser to the question I asked.

It has been discussed but ill add that a 08+ 6.4 torqshift has been used in a 6.0 application with success. I'm posting this to hopefully help someone out in the same situation I'm in. I haven't seen or read of a 6.8 tranny being used but if I end up with one ill comment on how it does.
There are some differences in calibrated pressures for gas to diesel. Some of it is also in the thickness of some of the plates. The 6.4L converter has a lower stall in that application over the diesel version.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is there a difference in the flywheel? Will it throw of the balance of the 6.0? Ifitssmokinitsstrokin tried this and ended up with shavings in his oil. Could this be caused from the 6.4 flywheel?

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Is there a difference in the flywheel? Will it throw of the balance of the 6.0? Ifitssmokinitsstrokin tried this and ended up with shavings in his oil. Could this be caused from the 6.4 flywheel?
Not unless he did something really wrong.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts