Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like lots of guys really like this app for monitoring. Just made the switch from IOS to Android, so it has me interested. I have AE already, but been considering another monitor to keep in the truck....a laptop isn't the easiest thing to watch while driving, or safe to boot. What is the general consensus? Not really wanting to spend the $500 on a CTS. Already have boost, trans, pyro, and FP gauges. What Bluetooth adapter did yall go with?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Amazon.com: New Version V1.5 ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner: Automotive

That's what I use. If you have multiple vehicles and want to use more than one (I keep one in each truck) then you just need to remember to reconnect to the right one for each vehicle in the torque app....no need to keep bluetooth on for the phone. Just plug it into the truck, wait til the red light comes on, turn on torque app and go. It can't read as much as a true scanner, nor can it do certain things like the buzz test, but it can read a heck of a lot of parameters. Don't forget to download the Ford specific PIDs.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I need to diagnose an issue, I'll get the laptop out and use AE. Just considering this to watch more parameters than what I'm currently watching with my pillar gauges.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never fooled with all the Bluetooth stuff and such...if I bought another plain Jane android phone with no data, only Bluetooth, can I load the app onto the phone via wifi, then leave it in the truck and run the app solely off Bluetooth? If that makes sense? Wasn't sure if I needed data to open and run the app once connected to the truck.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
updates need wifi or data but other then that it will run. I recommend a tablet so you can watch more stuff.
also buy cargaugepro for buzz tests etc

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
what can it not read?
I don't know everything about what it won't do, but I know it can't do cylinder contribution codes. For what most of us want to do with everyday use though, I think it's a great app.

And 6speed, yes wifi will do. Like mj said, you will need occasional updates to the app through wifi, but otherwise you'll be good to go. Friend of mine got a small el-cheapo tablet off ebay and mounted that in his truck. lol It works though!

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my plan. Plain Jane android tablet off amazon and a mount that attaches to the seat bolt. All in all, should have less than $100 in the whole set up, app included.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's great for taking a quick look at things. I have mine set up to ICP pressure, IPR duty cycle, oil temp, rpm and mpg. This is on a 7.3...it was designed for a 6.0 you should be able to read more PIDs. It is also great for looking at used vehicles, can check for codes to see if they have any soft codes or if owner has pulled CEL.

Well worth it in my opinion.

I also have AE for diagnosing my trucks.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Torque cant read codes on OBS, cargaugepro does, and does all the self tests.
so spend another $5 to be able to do it all

·
Diesel junkie
234 Posts
I use this one:
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Twice the price, but it's #1 on Amazon. I have yet to hear of anyone having issues with it though. The other cheaper ones are very hit or miss.

Torque cant read codes on OBS, cargaugepro does, and does all the self tests.
so spend another $5 to be able to do it all
Torque Pro is WAY easier to set up for monitoring gauges and stuff. Car Gauge Pro is better for running diagnostic commands and pulling codes. I have both and use them accordingly. Torque Pro is the daily driver.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This one says its like 8"x4.5". Surely it's not that big? I don't want one that sticks down so far I'll keep hitting my leg on it.

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys leave the Bluetooth adapter plugged in all the time? Curious about the current draw if the truck isn't ran for a few days at a time.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
mine has a power switch

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't leave mine plugged in. I throw it in the center console and plug it when I get in the truck. Mine connects very quickly.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
thanks for the info Dave
the point being the android can do it all.

I use this one:
Amazon.com: BAFX Products - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Twice the price, but it's #1 on Amazon. I have yet to hear of anyone having issues with it though. The other cheaper ones are very hit or miss.

Torque Pro is WAY easier to set up for monitoring gauges and stuff. Car Gauge Pro is better for running diagnostic commands and pulling codes. I have both and use them accordingly. Torque Pro is the daily driver.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
Will the Car Gauge Pro app actually pull codes from our trucks? I have the torque pro app and it says I have no codes. But I know there are ones in there.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
yes. and it will buzz test etc
PITA to operate

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, finally got this set up for myself. Quick question for you guys running it... Does your MAP reading reflect boost? Map should be boost plus atmo....mine just reads the same as boost. Wondering if this app just doesn't include atmo in the reading.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts