Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a newly rebuilt trans and a BTS valve body on the way. I'm wanting to upgrade my torque converter as well. Of course Brian recommends the PI and has no opinions on any other alternatives. As much as I would love to have a PI, the $1200 is a hard pill to swallow. I've searched on here and most posts are 4 or 5 years old. Just looking for some fresh opinions on converters. I tow around 8500 pounds in the summer months and don't see my HP ever exceeding the 400 mark. This is for the F350 in my sig.

Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would think any would be better than the stock one. My tranni guy says that the stock ones are garbage. My stock converter sounds like a jewelry box when you shake it. I am a throttle dick and with a dp 80 tune it tore it apart. So I opted for the zf6. Nothing to do with your thread but the 4r100 was much faster than the zf6

·
Registered
236 Posts
I went with a Dacco triple disc billet converter after buying my 99 f350 with marble noise which was common problem. You also want to change the front seal with the viton upgrade Price for converter was roughly 460 and I picked up at my local Dacco shop in south jersey. Part # hd3696-6-2 They are in many locations.http://www.daccoinc.com/catalogs
Brian did mention this name to me as I stated to him my noisy converter and yet it shifted fine. He suggested this name and then just run the trans to end of its life

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My rebuilt trans came with a Dacco HD3686 6-2 converter which is the same as yours minus the Billet lid. I haven't run it though, bought this trans with less than 2000 miles on it from a salvaged truck. Trans is on a stand waiting to go in. Kinda hesitant to run a $250 converter though...

·
Registered
236 Posts
If your engine is heavy modded I would think not but if stock injectors and just a chip I would install as it will be better than the OEM.
I have the HYDRA in my 99 and plan on pulling my 12000 pound fifth wheel rv.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I put a $425 converter from ARI in mine. Lasted 6 months. I am back to stock now. You get what you pay for I guess.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered the PI from BTS today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts